Friday, November 3, 2023

Creamy Giardiniera Dip

 
This is the time of the year when I start thinking about holiday food — dips, snacks, side dishes, mains. I’m interested in trying things that I’ve never made before so that I can offer something fresh and new to my guests. I spotted this recipe in Bon Appétit. I was attracted to it by virtue of the fact that I had all of the ingredients on hand, including the giardiniera that I had bought during the summer to use in a sandwich recipe, and never used it again. Bon Appétit had you stirring together all of the ingredients with the exception of the giardiniera, using it on top, with the oil from the relish drizzled overall. That didn’t particularly appeal to me for two reasons. First of all, I didn’t like the idea of the oil drizzled on top. Ew. Second, once that top layer containing the giardiniera is eaten away, you end up with basically just cream cheese at the bottom. Seasoned cream cheese, sure, but cream cheese, nonetheless. So I decided to put everything into the food processor to ensure that the bold taste of the spicy relish was enjoyed in every bite. It worked! This is a snack that you can make one to two days ahead (maybe more, if I’m honest), and pull it out when you need it. After all, during the holidays, you just never know who’s going to happen by. It’s great on chips and crackers, even wavy potato chips work here because this tends to be on the creamy side. Me? I loved it with Fritos.
 
Creamy Giardiniera Dip

Adapted from Bon Appétit

 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature

½ c. finely grated Parmesan

½ c. sour cream 

Kosher salt

Freshly ground pepper

1 c. well drained, coarsely chopped, oil-based giardiniera

Process cream cheese, Parmesan, and sour cream in a food processor until combined and smooth; season with salt and pepper (to taste) and pulse until incorporated but dip is not completely smooth. Add giardiniera and pulse until combined.

 Transfer dip to a small bowl and serve with the dippers of your choice. This can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

6 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I too like to find new and interesting appetizers for the holidays. This is totally new to me. I've never heard of giardiniera before. The recipe sounds wonderful and especially with your redesign of it.

Linda said...

I would definitely eat it with Fritos! I've never had giardiniera, is it anything like pickled pepperoncini? Whatever, I know I'd like it!

Marie Smith said...

Yummy!

Gina said...

You know, I don't think I have ever had that relish before, altho I have seen it in the store. I'm a Fritos gal, too and they just seem to do so much better with dips than potato chips. Let the holiday entertaining begin!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Linda, I’ve never had pickled pepperoncini so I can’t really say. Having this on hand, certainly makes for a quick and easy dip that people will think you’ve labored over.

Donna said...

Looks Good!!
hugs
Donna