Monday, November 13, 2023

Mexican Pinto Bean Soup


 
I bought a case of petite diced tomatoes. As I look at this sitting on my counter in the kitchen, I’m beginning to wonder why. I love making tomato-based soups in the wintertime, and thought that having cans of diced tomatoes close at hand would encourage me to do so. Today I’m experimenting with a number of tomato soup recipes; a couple of days ago I made this Mexican pinto bean soup. I think this is probably the first time I have ever used pinto beans in soup. Let me tell you they are darned good, and the soup -- even a small cup -- is filling and satisfying.  Serve it with my Mexican Cheese Garlic Bread, and you have a rave worthy meal.

Mexican Pinto Bean Soup

 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped

1 yellow onion, diced

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 (12 oz) bottle Mexican-style beer

2 c. chicken stock

1 t. dried Mexican oregano

½ t. ground cumin

2 bay leaves

2 15-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies

1 14-oz. can petite diced tomatoes

 In a large heavy-bottomed pot, cook bacon over medium heat. Once crisp, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate but keep drippings in pot.

 Add onion to pot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.

Add beer and de-glaze pot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Stir in the stock, oregano, cumin, bay leaves, tomatoes and green chilies, diced tomatoes, and beans; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and let cook 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and puree part of soup with an immersion blender.  Stir in cooked bacon and season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed.

 Serve with Mexican Cheese Garlic Bread.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

4 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Interesting soup with the addition of the beer! We are getting into soup weather!! Looks delicious.

Linda said...

I honestly can't think of a bean that I don't like, and this soup is right up my alley. And I love charro beans, so I know I would love this. With that bread you made - what a magnificent meal!

Gina said...

I'm so ready for soup season here. Its a thrifty meal that fills people up. This one looks like a keeper!

Marie Smith said...

I haven’t used pinto beans in soup…yet.