Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Dia de los Muertos Tablescape

 
It’s only been in recent years that I have celebrated Dia de Los Muertos, a.k.a. Day of the Dead. It’s a Mexican holiday, obviously, and one that I find greatly appealing because it’s set aside solely to honor those close to us who have passed away. The celebration is defined by Calaveras skeletons, lots of color, flowers, and great joy. I tried to depict all of that in this table.I struggled with selecting a table topper. I have a number of them probably more appropriate than this one, but this appeal to me greatly. The pattern is called “Los Santos,” and is from Alexander Henry. I hardly know where to begin to describe everything that is on the table, so I’ll start with the centerpiece.
The orange skull at table center was given to me a number of years ago. It came from Trader Joe’s, and had a succulent in it that has since outgrown the pot, and I now use it to hold flowers. Michael’s had a wonderful selection of items, so the sitting skeletons, the delightful Frida Kahlo tea light holders, the black candles with skeleton hands, and the two skeleton candelabras (brought forwards from my Halloween table) all come from there.
Williams-Sonoma is responsible for the tea towels that I used as napkins here, as are the wonderful, colorful mugs that I absolutely adore. The cookies on the small skull plate are from there as well.
The Frida Kahlo wine glasses, I purchased years ago from artist, Kelly Cameron, who hand-painted the design. One side has Frida, the other a skull. They are beautiful either way. 
The red stemware is from Amazon, as are the two floral black picture frames by Laura Ashley, and the boldly colored orange flatware can be found here.
 
The salt and pepper shakers, viewable at far left, are from World Market, years ago.
 
The wonderful tombstone picture frame (I have a pair of these, but could only find one) I got on Etsy years ago.
I hope you found this table a feast for eyes and soul. If you don’t celebrate this special holiday, please consider it in the future. 

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


This post is linked to: Tablescape Thursday 


6 comments:

Donna said...

Everything is so pretty!
hugs
Donna

Marie Smith said...

That table is indeed a feast for the eyes. All Souls’ Day for my family meant church. I quite like your commemoration!

Gina said...

This is such a festive table! I never would have thought of Michael's as having this variety and it makes me wonder - what do you serve with this tablescape as the backdrop?

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Gina, I serve Mexican food, of course!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

As beautiful and colorful as everything looks on your table, I just can't get into Calaveras skeletons! It just doesn't sit well with me when I look at them. Too weird and spooky for me to eat on or decorate with.. But your table does look gorgeous!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Wow Pattie, this is fabulous!
Jenna