Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cream of Roasted Jalapeno Soup - AUSTIN, Texas



Jim and I have traveled a lot during our marriage, covering all of the British Isles, a good bit of Western Europe, and a nice portion of the United States.  In some cases we've been able to live in major cities while working at some of the most beautiful libraries in the world thanks to various research grants and fellowships my scholarly husband has been awarded.

Harry Ransom Library on the campus of the University of Texas, Austin
It was during a research trip to the Harry Ransom Library in Austin, TX (one of my favorite U.S. cities) that I discovered this delicious soup.  While the photo may seem a bit lackluster let me tell you that this is no ordinary bowl of soup. This is a cup of spicy heaven the likes of which I'd never tasted before; I won't be able to rest until I've perfected the recipe.

I'm no jalapeno fan and I'm not all that wild about spicy, but this soup, the offering of the Fish City Grill restaurant puts a whole spin on the word delicious.

This is my version.  Hope you enjoy it.

CREAM OF ROASTED JALAPENO SOUP

3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups homemade chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, minced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped very fine
3 jalapeno peppers, roasted, seeded and diced very fine*
1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
1 dash Kosher salt

Finely chopped parsley for garnish

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over low heat. Add flour and stir 3 minutes. Mix in stock and cream. Increase heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy small skillet over low heat. Add onion and pepper. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally about 8 minutes. Mix in jalapenos. Add cheese to cream mixture and stir until melted. Mix in vegetables. Season with salt, garnish with parsley and serve.

Serves 8.



This is linked to:

16 comments:

Renae said...

Oh my goodness, this sounds delicious! Thanks for coming by and commenting on my hanging baskets...they added so much color for the summer!

Kathleen said...

Looks delicious, but my tummy can't do peppers.

Lyndsay Wells said...

This is why you are one of my must read blogs - you always have wonderful recipes. Damn woman! You're keeping me busy :-)

Jalapeno Peppers said...

Well good work.I like your post

Anonymous said...

I just made this soup and it is awesome!! I order this soup at Fish City Grill in Sugarland Tx every time I go. It needed more heat for us so I added 2 more jalapenos and I also blended the vegatables in the blender. Also added garlic. May add a little less onion next time as to my preference. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!! I've been searching how to make this!!

Suzan said...

I made this per your instructions and it came out super fantastic. You know it had to be good when my son liked it and was looking for left overs yesterday. Of course, no left overs were anywhere to be found.

Thank you for the post and recipe. It's a keeper.

suzan

Jami Dunaway said...

Cannot wait to try this! That soup is my favorite! I crave it always, but i love it especially on cold days. Also, i always order it with a side of hushpuppies. Delish! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Instructions say green pepper, ingredients call for red. Which is it? I bought a red...

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Either red or green peppers can be used, Sierra, depending upon the taste you are looking for; I use red. Thanks for catching the discrepancy in the text, since corrected.

Lindsey said...

YUM! I've missed our Fish City Grill for MONTHS and now have a totally legit way to satisfy that craving. Nom nom nom, thank you!

CindyB said...

I made this soup yesterday and it was absolutely amazing! I had to make some minor adjustments because gruyere cheese is not available in our stores. I used an aged cheddar and substituted cilantro for the parsley, because we love cilantro. Absolutely amazing . . . oh, I said that already!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I’m so glad that you liked it, Cindy, thank you for letting me know. Thank you, too, for the reminder that fall is the time for this type of soup. I may just make some this weekend. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Could you please give instructions on roasting the jalapeƱo? Thank you!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I have a tutorial on the blog to teach that very thing! You can find it here: http://pattietierney.blogspot.com/2014/06/how-to-roast-peppers.html

Unknown said...

Thank you. I came across this soup last week at a Fish City Grill in Arkansas. It was as you say, unexpectedly good. So good that I wanted to make some myself. Your recipe is spot on, delicious. Thank you.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

So glad that you enjoyed it!