Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cookies for the Cranky


Yes, I am cranky.  It's not my usual state, nor something I'm generally free to admit, but these days with our lives so full of chaos, a person can get to be downright disagreeable. Yesterday my husband was readying to go to the store to pick up something for dinner and asked what we needed.  "Ummm, chicken," I said, "and...M&Ms."

He raised an eyebrow, "M&Ms?"

"You heard me!" I barked, a little more viciously than I'd intended.  I can understand his surprise, I doubt in our 16 years of marriage that I've ever asked him to buy M&Ms.  I generally buy my own candy, I'm funny that way, but I wanted a cookie, a HOMEMADE cookie, and I wanted M&Ms, ergo, the M&M cookie.

I used the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from the king of baking cookbooks, aptly named Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
by Matt Lewis, Renato Poliafito and Tina Rupp, making a few minor adjustments. Instead of using 16 ounces of chocolate chips as suggested in the book, I used 1 cup of M&Ms and 1 cup of roughly chopped pecans.  I just don't think a chocolate chip cookie tastes quite as good without pecans.  I was right.  They were wonderful, and I felt so much better after a couple of cookies (okay four, if you must know) and a cup of coffee. 

If you're unfamiliar with Baked, click on the link at the bottom of this post and investigate. It is wonderful!  It is what every cookbook should be: interesting, informative, loaded with pictures, and one great recipe after another.  This book even tells you how to make your own almond paste!  Can you imagine the savings that will be?  (That alone makes it worth buying, and me giddy with excitement.)  Now go and get yourself a cookie!
Baked: New Frontiers in Baking


2 comments:

Kelly the Kitchen Kop said...

These do sound good, and I'm not sure I could've stopped at four! :)

I'd just suggest you're careful about giving M&Ms to kids in case they are sensitive to fake colors, like so many are these days.

Kelly

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Always good advice about the colors and kids. My two are grown and gone, so no worries about that, or someone taking my cookies. ;-)