Saturday, May 28, 2011

Orange-Poppy Scones

It is always a good day when the new issue of Everyday Food arrives.  I thumb through it carefully, jotting notes and dog-earing pages, planning for the week ahead.  There are so many things in this issue that I want to try, but considering it's a Sunday and Sunday mornings call for something special, I chose to make the Orange-Poppy Scones.  (Yes, my obsession with scones continues).
These are delicious!  They are easy to make, bake up light and fluffy, and are full of orange-tasting goodness. 

 
One caveat, however: in the recipe in the magazine (above) you are instructed to "Form the dough into a 7-inch square" and "cut into 9 squares."  I would advise against this, if you can even manage, with your sharpest of knives, to cut the dough into such tiny pieces.  Doing this, and then cutting them into diagonals will yield a very small scone.  Instead, do what I did, make one slice across the middle horizontally, and then two vertical slices yielding 6 squares, and cut those into diagonals.  You'll have a perfectly sized scone, and a delicious one too.  
Just look at all of the delicious bits of orange zest spread evenly throughout the scone.

Happy Sunday!

Everyday Food (1-year auto-renewal)

3 comments:

The Fajdich Times said...

They look wonderful. I have the tea ready.....you bring over the scones:)

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Sunday, Pattie!!!

Don't you love when there are so many inspiring recipes in just one issue. I've been contemlating not renewing my Food TV magazine and going with Everyday Food and Cuisine @ Home.

I've been trying to spice myself up for making scones and I just don't get to it. I have a feeling, these scones may just be the nudge I need.

Thanks for sharing, Pattie...

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I let my Food TV magazine lapse as well. It was pretty, but I never made one thing out of any of the issues. I have a stack of Everyday Food issues loaded with dog-eared pages of recipes just waiting to be tried.