Sunday, June 19, 2011

Malted Waffles

Father's Day calls for a special breakfast, so today I turned to one of my favorite new cookbooks, Baked Explorations, for ideas.  The Malted Waffles nearly leapt off the page.  It was exactly what I was looking for: tasty, but manly, and unique among the glut of waffle recipes or, heaven forbid, frozen waffles (egad!).  I knew this recipe would never fail me as this book is a wonder from beginning to end.  I try to hold back when it comes to buying cookbooks, since I'm overwhelmed already, but when I find one that has me wanting to try every recipe, well, how can I resist?  I'll share this one recipe with you, and then you'll just have to buy your own!
I cut this recipe in half with great success.  Even so, I had some waffles left over, but in the past I've frozen leftovers (well, the Eggo people do it!), and then reheated them in the toaster oven and find them nearly as fresh tasting as the day they were made.  The malt powder in these makes all the difference, so don't even think about making them without it.  We tried these both ways suggested, i.e. with powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream, and with syrup and chocolate chips.  The syrup version won hands down.  Delish!

Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented

The winner of the biscuit cutter giveaway is...
CONGRATULATIONS!

This post is linked to:

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I saw that recipe in the cookbook and thought it sounded so interesting. It really does look like one yummy breakfast. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.