Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Veggie Sandwich with Creamy Dill Sauce

 I am not a particular fan of lunch.  Sure I enjoy a warm slice of quiche, a hearty bowl of soup, or a nice salad with a crusty roll, but in my case, as I’m sure in yours, for the most part, lunch is a meal that is catch as catch can.  Sometimes a sandwich, sometimes cheese and crackers, sometimes just crackers.

Here is a recipe for a healthy lunch, made up of items from the fridge, topped with a delicious creamy sauce andit’s good for you.  I challenged myself to come up with a fast healthy sandwich, the only caveat was that I needed to make the sauce a day ahead.  In five minutes, this is what I was able to assemble.  Looks tasty, no?  It is.  Consider my vegetable selection as a guideline and use your favorites.  I do find that provolone cheese and cucumber are a must, but the rest is up to you.

From the bottom up, here is what I used:

For the Sandwich

A slice of white wheat bread
A handful of spring mix lettuce
A slice of provolone cheese
Thinly sliced red onion
Sliced avocado
Thin slices of cucumber
Creamy Yogurt Dill Sauce (recipe below)

It’s a knife and fork sandwich to be sure, and one that will leave you satisfied and feeling good about yourself.

Creamy Dill Sauce
(For one sandwich)

2 Tablespoons plain Greek Yogurt (I use Chobani)
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh dill
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pinch of Coleman’s English mustard (for zing)
1teaspoon canola oil
½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
Pinch of Kosher salt
Few gratings of freshly ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together and store in a covered container in the fridge.  Keeps 3-4 days.


This post is linked to:

 

6 comments:

Mythreyi said...

Dill flavored Sauce sounds Interesting and tempting to try!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love dill, and this looks wonderful, Pattie!

Marigene said...

Now, that's my kind of sandwich, Pattie...anything with fresh veggies!
It looks so delicious; think I will head to the kitchen...

La Table De Nana said...

That looks so fresh and amazing to me!

Jan Hermann said...

Mmmmmmm...this looks so delicious! Thanks popping in and leaving me the comment about the 70's - a good decade!!

Kathy said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy