Monday, April 14, 2014

“Everything” Rolls

 

I have a new best friend. Would you like me to tell you who (actually what) it is?  Because when I do, it will become your new best friend as well. Are you ready?  Okay...my new best friend is Rhodes Frozen Bread Dough. No, they are not paying me to say this. I am saying this because it is absolutely 100% true.

I was introduced to frozen bread dough by the good people at Celebrate Magazine, the only magazine, by the way, that I subscribe to in paper form. I keep each issue, and reread them year after year. The pages are dog-eared and worn, the recipes spattered, but my issues can feel the love.

In the current (March/April) issue I found a recipe for Everything Rolls.  Mr. O-P and I are quite the fans of the Everything Bagel, so this recipe caught my eye. I, as you know, am a fond lover of homemade rolls, so when I saw this called for frozen bread dough I initially balked. What if someone finds out?  I asked myself. Would I lose all credibility?  How will they taste?  Will it be obvious that I cheated and used frozen dough?  Well, let me tell you, no one will know from the look and taste of these delicious rolls that you didn't labor over them yourself. They are fresh, chewy, flavorful, and with a bakery shop texture that will have you hiding the package and bragging to your guests.


In short, both recipe and dough are superb! First of all, look at them.  Are they beautiful, or what?  They also look like work. They aren't. Thaw the dough, flatten, brush with butter, sprinkle with goodness, roll and bake. Then step aside for the stampede. Mr. O-P asked if he could try one. Sure, I told him, as I prepared to photograph them for the blog. By the time I had turned around he had not only tasted them, but he had eaten two rolls!  Yep, this recipe is a keeper.


Here is the recipe as it appears in the magazine (you're going to have to buy the issue for the other great recipes), my alterations follow.

Everything Rolls

4 teaspoons white sesame seeds
4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
4 teaspoons granulated garlic
4 teaspoons yellow cornmeal
4 teaspoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (1-pound loaf) frozen bread dough, thawed

Spray 18 muffin cups with cooking spray.

In a small bowl combine sesame seeds and next 5 ingredients.  In a separate small bowl, place melted butter.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12" square.  Using a pastry brush, brush dough with half of melted butter. Sprinkle seed mixture over dough.  Roll up dough, jelly-roll style, pressing seam to seal. Cut into 18 slices. Place slices in each prepared muffin cup.  Brush rolls with remaining butter. Let stand in a warm (85 degree) draft-free place for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.

My notes: I didn't have enough sesame seeds so used only a tablespoon. I like Parmesan cheese so used 2 tablespoons.  I used Rhodes brand Frozen Bread Dough.  Only my jumbo muffin tins were handy, so I cut the dough in 2" pieces, pushing them up from the bottom to make them crown, and so my yield was 9 large rolls. It took about 1-1/2 hours for them to raise to the height that I wanted. 

Divine!


This post is linked to:

7 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Everything Rolls, oh my Yes, Pattie! I'm a huge fan of everything bagels although, they are far a few here in central PA.

You might remember when I baked up a loaf of Rhodes Frozen breads with Dukkah, well, baking one up as everything rolls may just be next! Thanks for sharing, Pattie...if you ever see Dukkah in Trader Joe's, you really should give it a try. In the mean time, I'll be stocking up on "Everything" spices for these rolls:)

Marigene said...

Those look fabulous...I may try those for Easter, along with my regular Spicery rolls!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Rhodes Dough is going to be my new best friend. Your rolls look like they were made in a European bakery. Can't wait to make these!
If I don't see you before the weekend, have a wonderful Easter!

Lynn said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I see some everything rolls in our near future:@)

Gone-ta-pott said...

Oh my gosh those look beautiful!

Mary said...

Your rolls looks beautiful AND delicious Pattie! Frozen bread dough is my kind of baking :)

Lisa Boyle said...

They are gorgeous! Wow. Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you can join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/04/try-new-recipe-tuesday-april-22.html