Friday, July 10, 2015

Mocha Fudge Sauce



My mother's favorite dessert was always pie, mine, not so much. This never posed a problem for me when I was a kid, but as I got older and started having her and dad for dinner on special occasions, she would always ask that I make her pie. Lacking culinary skills in that department (long since remedied, I am happy to say) I would look for easy pie recipes of the pudding or ice cream variety. I well remember making an ice cream pie of some sort for her birthday one year. It was fairly easy to assemble with its graham cracker crust base topped with a layer of coffee ice cream, a layer of caramel, another of coffee ice cream, and then topped with a decadent mocha fudge sauce. The pie was forgettable, but that sauce stuck with me. Forget buying fudge sauce at the market and make this one. It is so good that people have been known to eat it right from the jar. Okay, it was me! But, I couldn't help myself, it is really that good.


Mocha Fudge Sauce


2 tablespoons boiling water
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Stir the 2 tablespoons boiling water and coffee powder together in a small bowl until the powder is completely dissolved; set aside. Whisk the sugar and cocoa together in a heavy medium saucepan until thoroughly blended. Whisk in the cream, corn syrup, and coffee mixture. Add chocolate and butter. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Store in a covered container in the fridge until ready to use.
This post is linked to:

4 comments:

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Hi Patti,
I'm with you on homemade hot fudge sauce! I have one that I've been making for gosh, probably over 40 years now. It has whipping cream in it also, and cocoa powder. I put mine on an ice cream dessert with a peanut butter Rice Krispie crust. I would love to try your mocha version and I know my son, who is staying here with me, would love it, too. I'll be trying yours soon. Thanks for sharing and your photo is sooo enticing!
p.s. Thanks for your visit to my blog!

Linda said...

I'm a pie person with your Mom, but I also love fudge sauce of any kind. Yours looks stellar, as usual. :) I love mocha; my husband doesn't. Is the coffee flavor strong?

Jennifer@MyFlagstaffHome said...

Wow, yum! Thanks for sharing. Thanks for linking up at the Weekend Blog Hop at My Flagstaff Home!

Jennifer

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

That is my favorite dessert. When I was a kid I would save my pennies and ride my bike to the corner and sit at the soda fountain and order a Hot Fudge Sunday. They made it with coffee in it and I loved it. So I know I would love this sauce.
Have a great weekend.
Mary