Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Chicken Chardonnay



If you're looking for an easy recipe that doesn't demand much of your time, and is generally a crowd pleaser, this retro recipe from my mom's collection might just fit the bill. It comes together quickly and bakes for an hour, giving you plenty of time to relax before dinner; a salad and pilaf of rice make nice accompaniments. I made it often for my two boys during those frantic years of running them back and forth to school between running myself back and forth to work. They both liked it a lot, although I could only sprinkle the stuffing mix on half of the dish because one of them liked it and the other didn't. Personally, I loved the topping, particularly when it mixed with the sauce because it always gave me that wonderful chicken-and-dressing dinner-at-grandma's down-home feeling.

The recipe below is the original. When I make it, I top the Swiss cheese with thin slices of crimini mushrooms and diced scallions.
Chicken Chardonnay

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
½ cup Chardonnay
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 cup Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing Mix
¼ cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350ยบF.

Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry.  Arrange in 9” x 9” square baking pan. Top each breast with a slice of Swiss cheese.

In a medium bowl, whisk together mushroom soup and wine. Pour sauce over breasts and cheese.  Top with stuffing mix and drizzle butter over all.  Bake, uncovered for 1 hour.

This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh this sounds so good. I love chicken and stuffing I could just make a meal out of stuffing.
Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe.
Have a great weekend ahead.
Mary

Linda said...

This sounds delicious!

Pinned and can't wait to make it.

Congratulations on this being featured on Miz Helen's.

Hugs,
Linda

Miz Helen said...

Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen