Friday, December 11, 2015

Creamed Pearl Onions with Spinach



Last week in my posting about how to peel pearl onions, I mentioned a delicious recipe for using them, promising that I'd share. Initially, I was reluctant to do so because, as does occasionally happen, the picture that I took of the finished dish did not turn out well. What can I say? It was Thanksgiving, I was frazzled, and it was dark and gloomy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I can show you that it is here on the Thanksgiving dinner plate, and tell you that it is my own creation based upon a simple longing to add pearl onions to creamed spinach. Never before have I had people rave about an onion dish as they did about this one. 

Peel your onions and make the topping the day before; thaw the spinach overnight in the fridge and it goes together fairly quickly. You can also make it a day ahead of when you plan to bake it, but save the topping in a separate container and sprinkle over the top just prior to baking. It’s a wonderful holiday dish.

Creamed Pearl Onions with Spinach

Ingredients
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
¼ cup flour
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
1-1/2 cups whole milk
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon tablespoon kosher salt
Few gratings freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces
Melissa’s Assorted Pearl Onions, blanched and peeled

Topping
1 cup panko
½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 1/2 Tbsp. melted butter

Preheat the oven to 425
ยบ F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Stir in pearl onions.

Meanwhile mix together topping ingredients.

Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle with topping. Bake until breadcrumbs are deep golden brown and cream is bubbling around the edges, 25–30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

This post is linked to:


5 comments:

Jennifer@MyFlagstaffHome said...

I think the photo is lovely and it sounds amazing, too. Pinned! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

Jennifer

julie Wunder said...

This looks so good! What a great idea to add those little onions to the creamed spinach!

Miz Helen said...

Thanks so much for sharing this awesome dish with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week and hope to see you again real soon!
Miz Helen

nina said...

Hi, this recipe looks great! I am just wondering how many portions you would say the recipe yields, and also what size baking dish you use - could you please share this information? Thanks!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Hi Nina,

I used a 1-1/2-quart baking dish. I had eight guests for Thanksgiving dinner, and this managed to serve them all. It would really depend upon the size of servings each person took, so I would say it serves 6-8.

Hope this helps.

Pattie