Thursday, February 11, 2016

Miss Hulling’s German Potato Salad



The (now long-shuttered) Miss Hulling's Cafeteria in St. Louis was legendary. Anyone over the age of thirty has no doubt heard of it, and may still remember those wonderful lemon and chocolate split layer cakes that are (thankfully) still available at a local grocer's. I remember going there with my mother as a little girl. It was full of white-gloved ladies and lots of bustling activity.

One of the first cookbooks that I had in my budding collection was the Miss Hulling's Cookbook. I hadn't thought about it in decades, nor did I realize that somehow I'd lost it, until I was gifted with some cookbooks by the daughter-in-law of a dear, late friend, Miss Hulling's among them. I was delighted! There were two of them, the hardcover one that I at one time owned (I am still scratching my head over this one), and a small paperback one called Favorite Recipes. No doubt I'll appreciate them now much more than I ever did back then.

Lots of memories came flooding back when I held these cookbooks, along with a newly created list of recipes to try. The first, however, was her recipe for hot German Potato Salad. Mr. O-P may turn up his nose, but this warm, vinegary potato salad has always been my favorite, knocking cold out of the park, as far as I'm concerned, and Miss Hulling's is the absolute best.

I made it using the small Dutch yellow potatoes from Melissa's Produce because they are buttery and flavorful, and not at all starchy like the white ones can tend to be. I served it alongside pulled pork sandwiches. You'll have to come back tomorrow for that recipe!
Miss Hulling’s German Potato Salad

3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 grated hard cooked egg
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
4 strips bacon, fried crisp and dried
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
6 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar

Peel and steam potatoes, or boil until tender. Slice thin while still warm. Add remaining ingredients and let marinate for 30 minutes. Add dressing (recipe below), mix carefully, and serve hot or warm.

Potato Salad Dressing
¼ cup flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
Dash white pepper
6 tablespoons bacon drippings
½ cup cider vinegar
1-1/2 cups hot water

Bring water, vinegar, and bacon drippings to a boil. Mix dry ingredients, add to boiling mixture, stirring vigorously and cook until clear.*

I cooked the heck out of this stuff and it never turned clear (like water clear), but it was smooth.

 This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Mae Travels said...

My mother had a friend who went downtown once a week, shopped at the big stores (like Famous Barr and Stix) and ate dinner at Miss Hullings with her husband who would meet her there. I have the soft-bound cookbook, probably the same one you had. I think this friend gave it to me. I remember it vaguely.

mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Angelina at Petite Haus said...

This sounds yummy! I actually prefer the traditional hot German potato salads the the cold American ones, but I still love the cold America ones too (cause I love potatoes). I'm saving this for later!

Linda said...

This looks delicious! What a wonderful story about the cookbooks.