Monday, April 4, 2016

The Anxious Gardener's Tablescape



If you are anything like me, once January hits, you get itching to plant seeds. Unfortunately, it's way too cold, so paging through seed catalogs has to suffice until the arrival of planting season. 
While April 15th is often considered to be the day when it becomes safe to plant, I have, more often than not, been sorry to have succumbed to my desires when frost inevitably hits later in the month. So, my official planting day has become Mother's Day. 
There is just something about the month of May, the profusion of hanging baskets available just about everywhere, the pots of blooming tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, and colorful petunias that gives me joy.
What do I do in the meantime? Well, I have to satisfy myself with a pretty garden themed table.
The tablecloth is vintage and belongs to Mr. O-P. He thinks that, at one point, it was his mother’s, but he’s had it so long that he honestly can’t remember.
I only recently discovered it while unboxing some items from our former house, and was shocked to find a half dozen tablecloths. Most of them were rather dingy with age, but this one struck me as so pleasant and cheerful.
These herb casserole dishes (that have matching under plates, not shown here) have been in my possession since the late seventies.
My mother and I each bought service for six (so that we would both have access to service for twelve -- mother was big on service for twelve) when we visited the Garden Gate Gift Shop of the Missouri Botanical Garden years ago.
This was before tablescapes and blogging and people who owned multiple sets of dinnerware. Back then, mother and I were quite unique with our mutual passion.
This evening I'll use the herb casseroles to serve Shepherd's Pie, but these darling covered dishes work for any meal and any occasion having served oatmeal for breakfast, soup for lunch, and warm cobbler from the oven after dinner. Lined with tender leaves of lettuce they have held chicken and shrimp salads, and have adequately held spinach salad topped with hot bacon dressing.
If you have never ventured into using individual casserole dishes, give it a try. The presentation is both impressive and fun.

This post is linked to:

16 comments:

Mae Travels said...

More and more, I'm a big fan of your tablescapes. This is beautiful, especially because I've always loved the Missouri Botanical Garden, which my family always called "Shaw's Garden."

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Patti,
Love your pretty botanical table. Very pretty, and it goes just right
with that pretty tablecloth of your hubbies.......those casserole dishes
are so cute too, and what a great idea to put other things in them, and
use them at times other than dinner.
Great job as always,
Blessings, Nellie

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Also I love your blog background, always forget to tell you that. lol

Blessings, Nellie

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Lovely table setting!!! I have started seeds indoors which is helping to satisfy my planting urge...for now, while the snow flies. This certainly is a tough time of the year for gardeners, isn't it? :)

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh your table is so very pretty and it looks so Spring like.
Love your little individual casserole dishes.

I would hate to wait util Mothers Day to plant my flowers and veggies.

Stop by my blog and see my roses that are blooming.

Have a great week.

Mary

Marigene said...

What a beautiful spring table...that vintage tablecloth is so pretty. It would be perfect for St. Pat's Day, with white, green and orange of the Irish flag. Okay, so you aren't that daring...it really is beautiful.
I have covered casseroles and always forget to use them until after we sit down to eat! Is the green geranium leaf plate BP?
I really like the flatware, it looks like it is ceramic.
Have a great week, Pattie.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Hello Patti!
I love your botanical setting with the small lovely caseroles. Such gorgeous stack of plates too.
Your tablecloth is gorgeous, simply what I love the most!
Hugs,
FABBY

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Hello Patti, your tablescape is very lovely and so perfect for spring. I love your little herb casserole dishes and what a great idea to share your service with your Mother, 'just in case'. The tablecloth is very pretty and so unique - I have never seen one like it! It works so well with your dishes. I love the little leaf plates, too. Shepherd's pie sounds so good and the flowers are lovely. I hope you have a happy week. xx Karen

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Not only your beautiful surrounding tablescape but your description of the many uses for those fabulous casserole dishes, makes me think I "need" some. Hope you can hold out till May for your gardening - you will probably be glad you did - and I can see why sitting at this beautiful table would help.

sandy said...

wow i LOVE your table setting. and the photos - gorgeous!! I also have to wait until Mothers' day. We had quite a freeze snow last May.

Bird said...

Loving this tablescape! so pretty!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Love those versatile herb casseroles Pattie, beautiful table!
Jenna

Rattlebridge Farm said...

A beautiful tablescape for the anxious gardener! We're expecting another stormy night, followed by a weekend freeze. I agree--Mother's Day might be a better planting date. Mary at Home is Where the Boat Is said that her mother in law planted tomatoes in June (this is in the Carolinas); before then, the soil just isn't warm enough. It's so hard to wait, though. I've been planting things in containers, and I hope I don't kill them when I transplant later on.

JES said...

Love this gardener's tablescape! So very lovely! Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth!

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous table setting -- love the design on the tablecloth. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday! :)

Kathryn Griffin said...

So beautiful! My fave is the tablecloth! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's bash. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2016/05/make-pretty-monday-week-175.html Hope to see you again at the party! Have a happy week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse