Friday, April 29, 2016

Cream of Asparagus Soup



Do you know what I love about this time of the year? Asparagus. Well, there are other things, too, but I dearly love asparagus. When I had the garden space and could grow my own, I never did because I just didn't have the patience to wait three years for a decent crop. Thinking back, if I'd have had the patience to wait back then, I could have enjoyed decades of fresh asparagus by now. Let this be a lesson to you.

There are many ways to enjoy this vegetable, from simple roasting and sauteing, to prosciutto-wrapped, to amandine and piled on toast, but no way is more delicious than in this wonderful bowl of soup. Served cold, hot, or room temperature, it is fresh, complex, and exceedingly delicious. A bowl and crusty roll makes for a satisfying meal; served in ramekins, it is a lovely side to tea sandwiches or a spring greens salad. For a welcome addition to a brunch, fill shooter glasses and serve it as a part of your buffet.

Cream of Asparagus Soup

3 cups fresh asparagus, cut in into 1” pieces
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, diced fine
1/4 cup flour
3 cups half and half
1-1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 teaspoons L.B. Jamison chicken-flavored soup base
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Bring a 2-quart pot of water to a full boil over high heat. Drop in asparagus pieces, reduce heat slightly, and boil for 5 minutes; drain and reserve.

In the same pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion and saute until translucent (2-4 minutes). Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly add half and half, milk, and cream, stirring constantly with each addition. Add soup base, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a low boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer and gently add drained asparagus. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, and simmer for an additional 1 minute.

This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Thelma said...

Your soup looks delicious. I must try it.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I would like the asparagus soup for sure as I enjoy it steamed or grilled. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Deborah Lacy said...

I love asparagus too. It's so inexpensive and plentiful this time of year. Thanks for a great recipe.

~~louise~~ said...

I did the same thing Pattie and now I could kick myself!!! An asparagus bed needs to be prepared just right and then you have to "due the time", however, like you, I sure do wish I would have had the patience and the gusto!

Your Asparagus Soup looks heavenly. I wouldn't mind a bowl right now. It hasn't felt too spring these last couple of days. More like soup weather.

Thanks for sharing, Pattie...