Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Introducing "Stanley"

 I find it interesting, and a little bit disturbing, that when I take a little time off of blogging, that I end up getting more views, than when I’m active. I’m not entirely sure what that says about my skills as a blogger, at any rate, I’m back.

I took some time off because I have added a new addition to my family. Back in March, a week before the lock-down, I decided that I wanted a pet. At this point in my life, I didn’t want the work of a dog. Not that I don’t love them, I do; I am a total dog person, but the training, the walking, going outside in winter — the dog not me I never go outside — all seemed like a bit much. A year ago I played host to my number two son, daughter-in-law, and their two cats while they were awaiting completion of their new home. I really enjoyed those cats.

As soon as I decided to get one, the lock-down hit and the local shelters were closed. They recently reopened, and I paid them a visit. I made the mistake of going with my number two son, Andrew. All animals on planet earth love Andrew, they always have done. When we walked into the Kitty Kottage at the shelter, every cat in the place headed straight for him, turning their backs on me. One cat, in a cage because he had not yet been tested for feline leukemia, and was known to be a bit of a biter, gave me the once over. Because that was the only cat that would let me pet him (and he bit me too), I immediately knew that he was the one. After four visits, and one more bite, I brought him home.

The workers at the shelter gathered around me as I was ready to take Stanley home, and thanked me for taking a chance on him. They added that he was the kind of cat who could end up spending years in a shelter. As soon as I got in the car I wondered what the heck I had done. I know nothing about cats, and now I am bringing one home to live with me; not just any cat, but one who has a bit of a reputation.

We are now eight days into it, and while Stanley has vacated his pumpkin bed (shown in the picture above) that had been given to him at the shelter, and with which he immediately bonded, he has yet to venture far from beneath my bed. He is eating and using his litter box, so I’m just going to let him call the shots.

My intention, because I love British mysteries, was to give him either a British name, or one associated with mystery. Because I couldn’t make the British thing work, I decided to name him after a favorite mystery writer, namely the one who wrote the Perry Mason novels. So my cat’s new name is Erle Stanley Gardner, Stanley for short. I think it will work for both of us. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Mary said...

I love that you are taking a chance on Stanley. I'm quite confident that the two of you are going to be great pals and you will feel so loved by him. It is over two years since I took in a rescue cat that had been abused for 6 years! She spit, bit and hid for months. But, I am quite tenacious and continued to have high hopes. She slowly but continually showed improvement in her trust. Today, she is my little sweetheart snuggling near me and always wanting to be where I am - even if she has to sit on the kitchen stool so she can watch me cook! Even with my optimism I am somewhat surprised at her devotion and trust. She is an indoor cat by adoption requirements so I created a catio for her using the pet door and a small dog cage - she loves it! Oh, I am so happy for you and Stanley. I frequently remind my gal Ivy how lucky she is to have me and she quickly tells me I am the one that is lucky to have her! It is wonderful that Stanley does not have to live in a shelter any longer!!! Check out my blog to read Ivy's story if you care to. Blessings to you.

Carole said...

Good luck! My Molly tried to bite me this morning when I was trying to dry her off a bit... but generally she's a good old girl. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

jmac said...

Yay!!!!!! A comfort creature!!!! For that’s what our fur babies are!!! I got my PoppyPearl one week before the lockdown, after losing my sophiejane of 19 yrs. never thought I’d be right in the world again without her. But poppy has healed the hole in my heart and is keeping me half sane in our now crazy world. Your Stanley will do the same for you!!!! Yay!!!!!

Angie's Recipes said...

Meow Stanley :-)) He is such a handsome boy! I look forward to more of your sharing of your time together.

Linda said...

Awww Pattie, I wish you all the best with Stanley. I have two "biters" that are loving other than the occasional bite that actually can break the skin. I've read that over-petting can cause a cat to bite, but who knows. The other two are sweet and loving, and their "bites" are nothing more than placing their teeth gently on my hand - lol!
I find the older I get the more compassion I feel for animals, wildlife, even spiders! That makes it hard when stray animals come to our door, which they did with regularity when we lived in the country - 2 cats, dogs, and a chicken! Now that we are in town we are hoping we don't have that kind of thing. ;)

Gina said...

He looks very sweet, despite the biting incident. Good Luck with your new fur baby!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Stanley is a beautiful cat and of course you take exquisite photos. I hope you and Stanley bond and have lots of wonderful times together.

thepaintedapron.com said...

I look forward to hearing the adventures of Stanley! Cats have such distinct personalities! I admire you for choosing and rescuing him!
Jenna