Friday, March 5, 2021

Green Bean Salad with Dill and Feta

 

The late Mr. O-P and I had differing opinions about salad. For him, a salad was pretty straightforward: lettuce, tomato, onion, and perhaps a sprinkling of Parmesan. For me, anything that I can throw into a bowl and toss with vinaigrette I call salad; I have a particular fondness for green beans. Because of this fondness, and I realize that I’m wandering from my point a bit, I tend to over buy green beans because they’re cheaper to buy in case lots. Don’t judge. I know it’s crazy. As a consequence, I end up with a lot of green beans. Turning them into salad is a tasty way to use them, and making such use of my stash of green beans generally means that I can always have a salad on hand should I need one. You know, for those occasional salad emergencies. If the thought of canned green beans appall you, feel free to use fresh.

This is an interesting combination of tastes and textures. The fresh dill makes it taste garden fresh, the feta provides a salty pungency, the onion gives it a complex bite, and the pine nuts give it a buttery crunch.

Green Bean Salad with Dill and Feta

2 lbs. fresh green beans (or 2 14-oz. cans)
½ c. chopped red onion
1/3 c. chopped fresh dill
1 3-oz. container feta cheese crumbles
1 3-oz. pkg.
Melissa’s pine nuts, toasted
Vinaigrette of your choice

If using fresh green beans, cook to the tenderness of your liking, rinse in cold water, and drain.

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours (or overnight) prior to serving to allow flavors to meld.

 

2 comments:

Linda said...

I agree - anything goes for me in a salad. I love canned green beans and have since I visited a long-ago canning factory in my hometown when I was in grade school. We were given a can of green beans, and I thought they were delicious. Love your additions of feta and pine nuts!

Angie's Recipes said...

My husband eats lots of salads...but it must include fruit, with nuts, it's even better. Your green bean salad looks really good with pine nuts.