Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Copycat Slow Cooker Chipotle Black Beans

 
I have never been to Chipotle before, but I have recently become acquainted with their burrito bowls. As I understand it, they are customizable, filling, tasty, high in protein, with a relatively low calorie count. All of this sounded really good to me, so I started looking around for assembly instructions, as well as a recipe for their black beans. There are a number of recipes that claim to be copycats of Chipotle's black beans, but I opted for the one that I deemed to be the easiest because it is made in the slow cooker, customizing it in my own special way. The last thing I want to do in the heat is boil beans on the stove top. I was pleased with the results; they are very good, but I think made even better by the inclusion of minced jalapeƱo, but that’s just me.

Copycat Chipotle Black Beans

 1 lb. dried black beans, rinsed

yellow onion, diced

6 cloves garlic, minced

1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced

4 c. vegetable broth

2 c. water

1 t. ground cumin

2 t. dried Mexican oregano

1 t. adobo

2 bay leaves

Juice of one lime juice

Salt, to taste

Freshly ground black pepper

Into a slow cooker, place black beans, onion, garlic, chipotle chili, broth, water, cumin, oregano, adobo, and bay leaves; stir to combine. Cook on high for 6-7 hours until the beans are tender. Discard the bay leaves and add lime juice and salt and pepper, to taste.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.



4 comments:

Donna said...

Oh...I don't know why but black beans are not my favorite. The color maybe? No clue...
hugs
Donna

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I like black beans and have been making them in the Instant Pot but I think they would taste better in the slow cooker. Mine has to be dusted off - I have not used it in over 8 years!!

Linda said...

LOVE black beans! You always have the best bean recipes. Hubs is not much of a bean person, o I don't tend to make them too often, but I have a variety of canned and packaged beans on hand at all times. We went to Chipotle one time and I liked it. The food was attractive and freshly made, and it was served kind of cafeteria-style. I thought the portions were skimpy for the price.

Gina said...

I love making beans in the crock pot, and black beans are so versatile. I keep them in baggies int he freezer to add to salads and such. Yours look really good and yes on adding jalapenos!