Monday, September 29, 2014

The 5-Minute Centerpiece

I'm not gonna lie, I have a lot of dishes. I’ve had a passion for setting a pretty table ever since college when all I had was a card table with a bum leg, four mismatched place settings, and a piece of cloth.  I managed to turn it into an attractive setting, and with that I was off and running. I would gladly take other people's cast offs, single plates, anything I could find.  I loved the challenge of being able to create order out of chaos, I still do. So, I guess you could say that having a lot of dishes is my one indulgence. And because I indulge myself, I also tend to have a bit of a storage problem.  So, in the spirit of minimalizing (to a degree), I have been thinning out my supply of decorative pieces.  This can sometimes present a bit of a problem when putting a centerpiece together. Solutions for the present are often born from problems of the past.

A number of years ago, during a move, when I lost track of almost every Christmas decoration that I owned, I had no other choice but to get creative with organics - pine rope, cranberries, greenery, etc. Honestly, it was the most peaceful season ever because shopping for decorations in the produce department is just all kinds of easy. It also makes clean up a breeze, and the best part is that there is nothing to store. In addition, doing this kind of decorating every year means that you'll have something fresh and new each season and won't be pulling out the same old dusty pieces, wondering if they have another year of life in them (The answer is 
no!). 
This fall centerpiece is an example of what I like to think of as organic decorating. The base is the same one that I used last week (and was actually a part of a floral piece that had seen better days years ago, so it was disassembled for parts).  I kept the moss in the bottom, and just piled up some organic seasonal produce from Melissa's. I love the pumpkin-shaped Butterkin squash with its pale color. The two of them provide a nice neutral background for baby pomegranates, quinces, and both real and faux grapes. I had a couple Alstroemeria left over from an arrangement, so tucked them in with the produce. Isn’t it lovely?
The next time you are wondering about what kind of centerpiece to use for your table, linger in the produce section of your local market and see what you can find. Pile things up in a bowl and sit back and wait for the compliments.  
This post is linked to: 

No comments: