Saturday, August 1, 2015

Streusel-Topped Fresh Peach Muffins



What a year for peaches this has turned out to be. Despite the heavy, Monsoon-type rains we had during the month of June that turned my geraniums spindly and petunias leggy, the local peach crop seems to be thriving. So much so that, according to the major grower in the area, this is the best crop they have had in 175 years! Well, this is just peachy with me. I know, terrible pun, but I have been running absolutely amok making peach recipes. Many I have already shared with you. The most recent was this easy and incredible Peach Pepper Preserves. I've also made Peach Cobbler and Peach Melba Preserves.

Yesterday I had a serious hankering for muffins, so made fresh peach muffins from a yellowing recipe that I found crumpled in the back of my recipe box. They smelled like absolute heaven baking, and look at how gorgeous they are!  They are best when served warm (microwave them for 30 seconds each if serving them after they have cooled) with a tiny bit of butter allowed to melt into the peachy goodness.

The recipe calls for one cup of chopped peaches. I really had no idea what that meant. I cut mine into rather large, half-inch cubes, in which case I only used one large peach. Mr. O-P didn't care for the rate of peach dispersal so suggested they be cut smaller next time. In doing so I feel I'd be treading a slippery slope. Chopped too fine and they'd make the dough too moist. Use your own judgment, experiment, see what appeals to you. Personally, I liked my own method just fine.
 Streusel-Topped Fresh Peach Muffins

1 extra large egg
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup unpeeled, diced peaches

Streusel Topping:
1/3 cup butter
¾ cup flour
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup chopped walnuts

Make the streusel topping first: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together the butter, flour, sugar and cinnamon until crumbly. Add walnuts and pulse once or twice to blend.  Set aside.

Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place rack in center of oven.

Grease one 6-count jumbo muffin tin, or one 12-count regular muffin tin; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg and milk together until combined. Whisk in butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice, and vanilla. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add flour to milk mixture, stirring just until blended. Do not over mix. Fold in peaches.

Fill wells of muffins tins (I use an ice cream scoop to do so) 2/3 full. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with an ample amount of streusel. Bake for 20-25 minutes if using a 12-count muffin tin, 25-30 minutes if using a jumbo muffin tin. Near the end of baking, check the tops to make sure that the streusel doesn't burn. Cover with foil if it appears threatening to do so.

These do not keep, so eat within 48 hours or freeze.
This post is linked to:

1 comment:

Linda said...

Oh I like the addition of walnuts to the streusel! You are so lucky with a local harvest of fresh peaches. I agree with you on the dispersal of peaches - with apologies to Mr. OP, those chunks look perfect to me. ;)