Friday, November 4, 2016

Chicken Divan Stuffed Shells


It never ceases to amaze me the things that people stuff into pasta shells, and with great success I might add. So, for my pasta of the week, I adapted a recipe that I found on the Sweet Dash of Sass blog.

This is an easy recipe to make, and once again employs the use of Alfredo sauce. I am really embracing this whole jarred Alfredo sauce thing, something I had never used prior to making the ravioli dish that I told you about here. I love dishes that go together in a hurry, freeze beautifully, and can be divided up into individual casserole or au gratin dishes, and served over the course of a couple of days, which frankly, is exactly what I did here.

Tasty, easy, and rather attractive to serve if you make a bit more effort than I did, I can't imagine your guests not really enjoying these. I took the advice from Sweet Dash of Sass to put a little tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan before topping it with the stuffed shells. I did that because I happened to have a cup of pasta sauce left in the fridge from a previous recipe and wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do with it. I don't think I would do this again. As much as I do like red and white sauces together, particularly in cannelloni, it didn't entirely work for me here, so take this as a word of caution if you're not sure that you want to use both. I will definitely make this again, but will eliminate the red sauce. (Just a little tip for those of you who may be on the fence about combining the two sauces.)

Do make this recipe, it's a good one, and you can make the filling the day before so these go together in a flash around dinnertime.
Chicken Divan Stuffed Shells

1 16-oz. jar Paul Newman's Alfredo Sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 cups cooked chopped broccoli
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
4 medium scallions, diced
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup shredded Parmesan
Few gratings of fresh nutmeg
1 box jumbo pasta shells, cooked al denté
1-2 cups marinara sauce (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste


Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13” x 9” baking dish with butter or cooking spray; set aside.
 
In a large bowl, mix Alfredo sauce, chicken, vegetables, nutmeg , and cheeses. Spoon mixture into pasta shells. Evenly spread marinara sauce on bottom of baking dish. Arrange shells in baking pan. Arrange shells in baking pan. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until heated thru.

This post is linked to:

3 comments:

thepaintedapron.com said...

Another tempting recipe Pattie! I love jarred Alfredo, one of my favorites is Classico Asiago Romano Alfredo Light, it has half the fat and calories and still tastes fabulous...I will definitely be trying this, but agree without the red sauce, that just seems weird :) but pretty for Christmas I guess!
Jenna

Unknown said...

This looks SO good! I'll add this to my recipes to try, but no red sauce for me. Thank you

Vanessa said...

This look amazing and I love stuffed shells. Yummy! Thank you for sharing at Dishing it and Digging it link party. It's great having you.