Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cream of Tomato Soup

 The first soup I remember liking was Campbell's Cream of Tomato.  I don't know if it was the soup, or the toasted cheese sandwich that accompanied it that made it so appealing, but it was one lunch I always enjoyed in my youth, and still do today. It represents a combination of comfort and nostalgia that, as I get older, turn to again and again. These days the soup has become more sophisticated as have the cheese sandwiches, and yet there are days when I yearn for the uncomplicated and that's when I make this delicious and amazingly easy soup. The recipe is pictured below in the handwriting of an old friend.* This makes four nice servings. I caramelized the onions instead of just sauteing them. The soup relies heavily on the garnishes so do not omit them!


*If you find the photo hard to read, see below.

Cream of Tomato Soup

1 #303 can Italian chopped tomatoes (see below)
1 #303 can tomato sauce (see below)
1 cup Half 'n Half
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt & Pepper

Combine all ingredients and heat thoroughly; do not boil.

Garnish:
6 slices crumbled bacon
1/2 cup sautéed onions
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated

NOTE: Can sizes used to be designated by number. Approximately 16-17 oz. make up what used to be known as a 303 can. This will be about 2 cups.


No comments: