Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Cornbread


As you know, I've been on a bit of a pumpkin tear lately, the natural result of the seasonal move from summer to fall. Recently a recipe came to my attention that I found most interesting: pumpkin cornbread. I'd not heard of such a thing (I'm even currently reading THE CORNBREAD GOSPELS by Crescent Dragonwagon and even she doesn't mention one), thought it sounded tasty, but alas didn't quite have enough cornmeal, or wheat flour, or an 8" square pan, so made some alterations and it came out great! It is dense, moist, and delicious, not at all sweet, and not falling apart crumbly like a lot of cornbread tends to be. This is a keeper, and I'll be serving it for Thanksgiving.

Here's my version of the recipe:


Pumpkin Cornbread
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
1 1/2 cups whole milk

Sift dry ingredients. Beat the egg. Stir egg, oil, pumpkin and milk into dry ingredients quickly, leaving a few lumps. Pour into a greased 8-inch cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges.

To make it extra special serve with spiced honey butter:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Pinch of sea salt

In a medium bowl, combine butter, confectioners' sugar honey, spice and salt. Beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate until ready to use. Wonderful on toast, pancakes, biscuits, and waffles.
The Cornbread Gospels

2 comments:

Koci said...

What a cool idea! I'd never heard of pumpkin cornbread before. Sounds delicious! This would be such a great Thanksgiving side dish.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I thought the same. I really enjoyed it and will certainly make it again. I'm thinking maybe I'll have both honey spice butter and cranberry butter. Hmmmmm.