Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Shirley's Pasta Salad


In yesterday’s post, that you can read here, I told you about my mother’s recipe box, adding that I had planned on sharing many recipes from this lifetime collection.  The first recipe came from her best childhood friend and maid of honor at her wedding. Her name was Shirley Fick, and she was quite an accomplished and experimental cook. 
My parents’ wedding picture.  Shirley is on the left, my parents are on the right.  Norbert Cook was the best man.  I have no idea as to his culinary prowess.
This dish made a big impression on me back in the seventies. It was the first time that I had ever eaten cold spaghetti.  Boy, did I think this was exotic. Tender crisp vegetables, Parmesan cheese, and al dente pasta, when combined makes for one delicious dish!  
Here is the recipe straight from the recipe box.
Light and refreshing, a tempting appetizer, or satisfying summer meal, it seems to be a hit with everyone who tastes it.  The first time I made it, years ago, I thought it was a lot of work. My organizational and knife skills have improved greatly since then, and I can pretty much have it chilling in the fridge in around 40 minutes. I think it is delicious hot or cold. 

This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Marigene said...

That looks and sounds like a great dish for a summer supper. One might even add a little chopped chicken to it...

Mythreyi said...

Easy and yummy preparation...

-Mythreyi
Yum! Yum! Yum!

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Pattie! I can definitely see how this endeavor of yours will help you through the healing process.

Recipes with a story are always my favorite. (I love when people put little notes in their cookbooks:)

I don't remember anything as exotic when I was younger but I can just imagine how exciting it must have been.

Thank you so much for sharing...

Alycia Nichols said...

I LOVE this picture!!! This reminds me for some reason of the movie "Sabrina". What a good-looking group of people! I loved the days when women wore smart-looking suits for their wedding!

The recipe looks good! It presents beautifully!