Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sukiyaki

One of the great things about making a stir-fried dish, besides the ease, is that, generally, all of the ingredients are readily available in your fridge. A protein, a variety of fresh vegetables, and a tasty sauce are pretty much all that you need. This dish, from one of my most often consulted cookbooks, mentioned here and here, is one of my favorites. 
An obsessive note taker, I see that I first made this recipe in 2004.  I made it again last night and marveled at the goodness of it, particularly considering the little time it took to put it together and the overall ease of preparation. I did all of the prep work in advance (truth be told, during the commercials in between airings of a Jesse Stone marathon).  A half an hour before I was ready to eat, I put the previously rinsed and draining rice on to cook, then started then stir fry process. I do have a wok, but it is always trouble trying to unearth it from the bowels of the kitchen cabinets, so I just used a 10" sauté pan. Easy, healthy, delicious. What more could one ask of dinner? Oh, and one more thing, it reheats beautifully!

This post is linked to:




2 comments:

Alycia Nichols said...

I can remember my Mom making Sukiyaki back in the day, but I've not eaten it in years and years! The ingredients make it sound like something I would really like, and your photos REALLY make it look like something I'd enjoy!!! Pinning!!!

Hey...do you remember that song from the 70s called "Sukiyaki"? It was sung by a group called Taste of Honey. I think I may still have the 45 record!

Miz Helen said...

We would just love this dish Patti! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your post with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen