Monday, February 18, 2019

Meal Plan Monday #11 Dad’s Favorites


As you read this, I am preparing to bury my beloved Dad. You all have read a lot about him on the blog, and I can tell you that he was really a special man. Sadly, last week, on the sixth anniversary of my mother’s passing, dad took a tumble down the stairs, fractured his skull, and sustained a traumatic brain injury from which he did not recover. He passed away with me by his side the following afternoon. I cannot tell you how devastating this has been for me, but I’m sure you all know the pain.

So this week, for Meal Plan Monday, I am going to do favorite dishes of my dad. He was always one to lavish a compliment when it came to a good meal, or rich dessert.

These are the things that he enjoyed the most.

Saturday –
Oven Chicken Kiev, Wild Rice, Smothered Green Beans, Pie

I will not be doing a tablescape for this week, but will have a centerpiece paying homage to dad that I will share later.

Tell that special someone that you love them today.

11 comments:

Cee Pluse said...

Oh my goodness, Pattie, I am so, so sorry for your loss. Your dad seemed like such an interesting man, and I know you spent a great deal of time caring for him and especially providing meals. You have my deepest sympathy.

Gina said...

Thank you for reminding me to call my mother...I am saddened to hear of your loss. It sounds like you got a lot of joy from feeding your dad some amazing food over the years. How lucky he was, and his favorites sounds so good. I hope you have a calm and restful week, full of happy memories and loving extended family.

mjny said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Hi Pattie, I am so deeply sorry about the loss of your beloved Dad. I didn't know that it happened on the 6th anniversary of your beloved mom's passing. I always loved hearing how you shared delicious meals with your dad, and I love how you're honoring him by sharing his favorite meal for your meal plan this week. We do remember our loved ones with their favorite dishes to keep their love of them alive in our hearts. God bless you, Pattie. Cherish those memories of your dad, and thank you for the ending message of telling someone "I love you".

Alycia Nichols said...

I’ll try a couple of these this week in honor of your beloved Dad. Again, from the bottom of my heart, I am so very sorry.

Linda said...

I have a big lump in my throat reading your menu tribute to your Dad. I'm glad he was lavish with compliments, and I'm glad you mad and shared so many wonderful meals with him. Thinking of you often.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Oh Pattie I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, that's just awful, I hope he didn't suffer in the end. It will be a year in June that my dad is gone, but he suffered terribly for the last two years of his life, and his passing was prayed for at the end. Doesn't make me miss him any less though! Sending you prayers and hugs, my friend. xo

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Je suis absolument désolée et triste d'apprendre cette terrible nouvelle.
Je vous présente mes très sincères condoléances.

C'est un bel hommage à votre papa que ce petit billet...

Je vous embrasse affectueusement,
Gros bisous 🌸

Thelma said...

Hi Pattie. I'm so sorry to read about the passing of your Dad and the hard time you are going through. You took such good care of your Dad with all your delicious meals. I'm sure he was thankful to have you around. That Beef Brisket and Oriental Beef Casserole looks so delicious. Sending my prayers and Hugs to you my dear. xo

Susan~aredheadonthego said...

Dearest Pattie, please accept my condolences. I’m so sorry. I have an 85 year old dad with Parkinson’s who has frequent falls. I know how traumatizing that can be. You are in my prayers.
Best,
Susan

thepaintedapron.com said...

Oh Pattie, I am so sorry for your loss, it hurts so much to loose a beloved parent, an important anchor in your life...he would love that you chose to honor him with his favorite foods and a special table. You are in my prayers...
Jenna