Monday, February 7, 2022

Cheddar Garlic Muffins

 I can’t help but think of Miranda Hart in a certain scene from her British sitcom, “Miranda,” wherein she shows her disdain when love interest Gary offers her a savory muffin. 

 

Personally, I love a savory muffin, and this one is particularly good. It goes well with soups and salads, but I also found that I quite enjoyed it as a part of a breakfast sandwich with a scrambled egg, a slice of sausage, and additional sprinkling of cheese. These go together easily, and don’t require getting out the mixer. I love recipes like that.

Cheddar Garlic Muffins

Adapted from South Your Mouth

 1¾ c. flour

1 T. baking powder

½ t. salt

¼ t. garlic salt

1/8 t. cayenne pepper

1½ t. garlic powder

4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated

2 T. finely chopped scallions

1 lg. egg

1 c. whole milk

¼ c. melted butter

 Additional melted butter and garlic salt for topping warm muffins

  Preheat oven to 400°F. Place muffin cup liners* into a 12-well muffin tin; set aside.

 Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, garlic salt, cayenne, and garlic powder in a medium bowl.

 Fold in cheese and scallions until all cheese is coated with flour mixture.

 In a separate bowl beat egg; whisk in milk and melted butter until well combined. Add egg mixture to flour mixture stirring with a fork until just combined.

 Divide dough evenly into muffin tin. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.

 Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Serve warm or at room temperature. I think they improve with age. They freeze beautifully.

 *This style holds more batter, so the end result will be 9-10 muffins.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 
 

5 comments:

Linda said...

I bet these rival the Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits everyone is always so gaga about. I could see added some crumbled sausage to them for the meat-loving Hubs. Or I could just throw on a sausage patty like you did - yum!

Gina said...

I should have made something like this to go with dinner last night instead of that failed yellow cake with fudge frosting for dessert. What was I thinking...I will file this one for future use. Maybe next Sunday when I do corn chowder!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Yes please! Sounds yummy Pattie!

Marie Smith said...

Yummy! Bet these are mouth watering.

Alycia Nichols said...

There is NO DOUBT in my mind I would eat way too many of these in a single setting! I LOVE savory muffins!!! What was WRONG with that woman?!??! She was truly offended at the very thought of it!😄 That little kick of cayenne is what takes it to the nth power for me! And I love to eat them in all the same ways you do!