Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Sriracha Honey Chicken Legs


Occasionally, actually more than occasionally if I’m honest, I will be rummaging through the freezer and come up with some real relics. An example of this was a package of pork chops with an expiry date of May, 2016 (I did not eat them). Honestly, I don’t know how they got there. I’m guessing that the late Mr. O-P bought them, and in June of this year he will be gone for six years. Oy! I had not hung onto them for the sake of sentimentality, more likely that they were too frosty to identify, and I didn’t want to risk throwing them away. I know, I know, it’s crazy. This year I told myself that I was going to get rid of things in the freezer, either by putting them to use, or putting them into the trash.

This week I found a package of chicken drumsticks. I didn’t buy them all that long ago, but as soon as I got them home, couldn’t remember why I did. So I pulled them out of the freezer and marinated them in buttermilk in the fridge, while I decided what to do. I always, I repeat ALWAYS, marinate chicken in buttermilk. It makes it so wonderfully juicy no matter how you choose to prepare it. At this point, the search was on for a recipe that looked unique and tasty. I found it at
allrecipes.com. This is so easy to put together, without the skin is lower in calories, and the taste is phenomenal!

Sriracha Honey Chicken Legs

Slightly adapted from Allrecipes.com

 2 lb. chicken legs, skin removed

2 T. olive oil

1½ t. dried thyme

1½ t. garlic powder

1 t. smoked paprika

1 t. salt

1 t. ground black pepper

3 T. raw honey

3 T. butter

2 T. Sriracha sauce

1½ T. soy sauce

 Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

 Combine chicken legs, olive oil, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix chicken legs until coated and arrange on the baking sheet.

 Combine honey, butter, Sriracha sauce, and soy sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat; cook and stir until butter is melted and sauce is smooth, about 5 minutes; set aside.

 Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Toss in Honey/Sriracha sauce and return to the oven for 10-15 additional minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone reads 165°F.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Looks scrumptious. You had me at the marinade. I will try it.

Gina said...

Thank you for the reminder about buttermilk! I 100% agree, even with dark meat chicken. Chicken legs are so affordable and really delish - I have everything for this dish and will report back! I made your other crockpot chicken leg recipe recently (this time with all the leftover cranberry sauce) for the second time and its a keeper!

LoriE said...

That sounds so delicious. And I have all the ingredients on hand.

Lana said...

My grandparents moved in their 80's and their freezer got a good cleaning out. There were 20 year old T-bones in the bottom. My Dad said if he had known they were there he would have taken them home and eaten them!

Linda said...

Pattie these look wonderful! I agree, buttermilk makes everything taste better. I made buttermilk marinated fried chicken back in 2000 and my adult kids are still talking about it. These look healthier than fried! Love the Sriracha sauce addition.

Alycia Nichols said...

10-4, good buddy! Ramon will just have to deal with it! I'm making these!!!!!