Thursday, February 17, 2022

One Pot Stove-Top Mac and Cheese

I love macaroni and cheese, but I am one of those people who aren’t wild about the baked variety. It’s fine; it just always seems to turn out too dry for me. I far prefer the creamier version that is baked on top of the stove. This genius recipe from Half Baked Harvest is a one-pot wonder. Deliciously creamy mac & cheese, studded with healthy bits of broccoli and zucchini, the latter of which melts right into the mix. This is a delicious main or side dish, wonderfully creamy, very flavorful, and unbelievably easy.

  One Pot Stove-Top Mac and Cheese

 1 lb. short-cut pasta*

1 head broccoli, chopped

¾ c. heavy cream or whole milk

3 oz. cream cheese, cubed

1 medium zucchini, grated (about 1 c. grated)

1 T. Dijon mustard

2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 c. shredded Monterey jack cheese

1 t. garlic powder

1 t. onion powder

1 t. paprika

¼ t. cayenne pepper

1-2 T. salted butter (optional)

Kosher salt and black pepper

  In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1½ teaspoons salt, the pasta, and broccoli. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Do not drain the water. Stir in the milk, cream cheese, and mustard, and cook until the cream cheese has melted and the pasta is al dente, about 4-5 minutes more. Stir in the zucchini.

Add the cheeses, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and butter (if using), and stir until melted and creamy. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper. If the sauce feels thick, add ¼ cup milk or water to thin.

Divide the mac and cheese between bowls. Top with black pepper.

*I used cavatappi, a longer cut pasta, so I added one additional cup of water, and increased cooking time by one minute.

 

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

4 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I will try this one! It looks yummy as usual.

Alycia Nichols said...

I'm a HUGE mac and cheese fan from WAY BACK, and this is a nice twist on it! The ultimate comfort food with a little "healthy stuff" tossed in for good measure! I love how you use different kinds of pasta to make the dish more interesting to the eye and mouth. I have to get more adventurous in that way. I guess I just have about a century's worth of plain ol' elbow macaroni that I have to get rid of first!

Linda said...

That photo with the mac and cheese dripping over the side - omg. I like the addition of cream cheese - seems like I should have tried that before now. Husband just glanced at the screen and said "make it, but leave out the green stuff" - lol!

Linda said...

Are those "mini" Le Creusets?