Friday, June 17, 2022

Pineapple Fried Rice

A friend of mine and I try to get together for lunch once a month. Every month we like to try a different restaurant, but often return to one of our favorites, a restaurant offering Vietnamese and Thai cuisine. We both tend to order the same thing because we know what we like and hate the thought of disappointment, but I have recently become intrigued by their Pineapple Fried Rice. At the restaurant it contains curry powder, pineapple, chicken, and raisins. Interesting combination to be sure, and one that I think I would like, but I hated to take the chance.

It was quite by happenstance that I made jasmine rice to accompany a dish, and behold, on the back of the Mahatma Jasmine Rice package, was a recipe for pineapple fried rice. Today I decided to give that recipe a try, and I really enjoyed it.  I substituted pickled jalapeños for the red chili pepper, added more garlic, a pinch of curry powder (next time I will add more), and some red pepper flakes. The only thing I would do differently is to cut the pineapple tidbits in half because with rice and shrimp on the fork, they were quite a mouthful.

Pineapple Fried Rice
Adapted from Mahatma

1 c.
Mahatma jasmine rice
1 20-oz. can pineapple tidbits, drained and halved
4 scallions, chopped
1-2
Melissa’s pickled jalapeños, seeded and finely minced
¼ c. coarsely chopped cilantro
1/8 t. curry powder
2 c. fresh medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined
3 T. oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T.
fish sauce
2 T. soy sauce
1 t. sugar

Prepare rice according to package directions and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine pineapple, onions, jalapeño, cilantro, and curry powder; mix and set aside. (At this point it can be refrigerated for later.)

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet and sauté shrimp until done. Remove shrimp from skillet. In same skillet, over medium heat, add remaining oil. Sauté garlic until golden brown. Add cooked rice and stir. Add fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Stir and heat through. Fold in pineapple mixture and shrimp. Heat through. Garnish with additional cilantro, chopped scallions, and pickled jalapeño.

Serves 4-6

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

  

3 comments:

Linda said...

Pineapple sounds like the perfect addition to fried rice, especially with the jalapeño and cilantro. I'll have to remember that next time my husband makes fried rice. The only thing I've been able to persuade him to add to it is peas - lol.

Marie Smith said...

Well, I just have to make this one for sure. Thank you!

Alycia Nichols said...

It looks so good! You really know how to photograph food in such a way that it is irresistible!!!