Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Mexican Street Corn Skillet


One of my favorite seasons is nearly upon us, fresh corn season. When that farm fresh corn hits the markets, I am buying it by the armfuls, using it in as many dishes as possible from an omelet at breakfast, to a salad at lunch, to a quiche or a casserole at dinner. This year, I am also going to be enjoying it and this delicious Mexican street corn skillet. This is a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com and adapted slightly. Ostensibly, I believe it’s supposed to be a dip. As a dip, it’s absolutely wonderful, but it’s also excellent as a side dish with a grilled steak, or a wonderful accompaniment to any Mexican meal. If you have any left, use it the next morning as a filling in an omelet. You would not believe how good that is! No matter how you choose to make it, I guarantee you’re going to enjoy it. 

Mexican Street Corn Skillet

2 T. butter
1 small red onion, chopped
Kosher salt
6 garlic cloves, minced
1
Melissa’s pickled jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 16-oz. bag frozen corn, or 3 cups fresh corn
1 t.
ground cumin
Pinch chili powder
2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 10.5-oz. can Cream of Celery soup
Cayenne pepper, to taste

½ c. shredded cheddar
½ c. Cotija cheese
Chopped cilantro, optional

 Melt the butter in a 10” skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, season lightly with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring until just softened, about 2 minutes. Add the corn, cumin, and chili powder, and cook, stirring, until warmed through and tender, about 6 minutes for frozen corn and 3 minutes for fresh corn. Add the lime juice, cream of celery soup, cayenne, and ⅔ cup water. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring to combine. Taste and add more salt if desired.

 Turn on a broiler with a rack positioned about 6 inches from the heat. Sprinkle the top of the corn with the cheeses and broil until the top is deeply golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, rotating once a minute to prevent burning. Add more cayenne to the top, if desired, along with a scattering of cilantro, and serve with hot sauce on the side.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

3 comments:

Marie Smith said...

What’s it to love about this as a dip?

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I too wait for corn season at our local farms and look for ways to use it in everything. This recipe looks delicious with the cumin in it -one of our favorite seasonings.

Linda said...

I bet this is good with tortilla chips! I know you'll be sad to know I've never cooked with Cotija cheese, but I may pick some up at Aldi to try this. I have never tried Mexican street corn either but my mouth waters every time I see a recipe for it. I can remember when corn on the cob used to be 5/$1.00 during the summer and sometimes 10/$1.00. Now it is $1.00 per cob - sheesh. So I use a lot of frozen corn.