Monday, July 11, 2022

Cheesy Zucchini Casserole

I have never been particularly successful at growing zucchini. It is not for the lack of trying, believe me. I will get zucchini that will reach 4 inches long and then fall off the vine. Don’t ask me why. One time I was successful at growing a rather large zucchini unbeknownst to me. I happened to look out the kitchen window and saw the boys playing football in the backyard. I wondered how they were doing that since we didn’t own a football, so went out to investigate. Come to find out a zucchini plant had grown out of the compost pile yielding a football-sized zucchini. Just one.  They’d picked it and used it as a football. I couldn’t even make hash out of what was left of that poor, pathetic thing, but I digress. For those of you with more zucchini than you know what to do with, this recipe for zucchini casserole is tasty and toothsome.  It’s easy to assemble, and even the kids will enjoy it.

Cheesy Zucchini Casserole

 4 slices bread, cubed, lightly toasted

¼ cup melted butter

2 c. cubed Melissa’s organic zucchini (1 large)

3 scallions, chopped

½ t. seasoned salt

Pinch of cayenne pepper

½ t. Melissa’s minced garlic

1 large egg, beaten

1½ c. shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

 

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8” x 8” pan lightly with PAM; set aside.

 Place bread cubes in a medium bowl and pour melted butter over the bread; toss to coat. Add the zucchini, scallions, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic, egg, and 1/2 cup of the cheese; mix well. Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 1 cup cheese.

 Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

6 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

An amazing story about the giant zucchini from the compost pile. Frequently undersized zucchini falling off the vine is due to poor pollination to begin with. Do you use pesticides that may scare away the bees? Just a thought. Regardless, your zucchini casserole looks like a perfect summer dish and a great way to use up zucchini. I don't grow it anymore but I am well supplied from a farm walking distance from my house.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I am fully organic in my gardening. I even make my own fertilizer. I’m just unlucky with zucchini, and this year with cherry tomatoes.

Gina said...

This looks like the perfect light little summer supper for one and I am printing this one off! I'm no farmer, but I think the bigger they get, the less edible (tasty) they are...

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Patti, I could not help returning because right after I read about your zucchini story I was reading a blog that dealt with growing zucchini...
Here is the quote from Heidi's Blog- The Frugal Girls. https://thefrugalgirls.com/2015/02/zucchini-growing-tips.html?unapproved=1285631&moderation-hash=3ecebd5079f8c5f90be923de71069e87#comment-1285631

She said,

"You’ll also want to strategically plant some flowers nearby to attract the pollinators, like bees and butterflies. Remember, no pollinators = no zucchini."

Following are a list of some great things to plant near your Zucchini…

Beans {add nitrogen to the soil}
Calendula Flowers {attract pollinators}
Corn {deters vine borers}
Cosmos Flowers {attract pollinators}
Garlic {repels aphids}
Mint {deters aphids}
Parsley {deters pests}
Radishes {repels squash vine borers and beetles}
Zinnia Flowers {attract pollinators} "

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This is great information, Judee. Thanks!

Linda said...

Yum that looks like comfort food to me. I LOL'd at the football story! I've not had much luck with squash of any kind, and I love it. I think I had success one year, and that was when we planted a garden where horses had roamed for years. Had to be the free fertilizer - lol! But even though I fertilized other plantings, none was as successful as that one.