Wednesday, March 29, 2023

King’s Hawaiian Cheesecake Danish

In the past, I have not been at all enamored with the phenomenon known as King’s Hawaiian sweet rolls. I think that’s probably because the first time I had them was part of a dinner, and there was something about a puffy sweet roll with a savory meal that left me cold. (Me, the fan of crusty rolls with dinner.) But recently, having tried the turkey cranberry sliders as well as beef sliders, both of which employ the use of this roll, I have done a complete 360. When I spotted cheese danish using them, I had to give it a try.

 There are a number of recipes online for these, none of which, I think, are as good as mine. These are relatively easy to assemble, and would be perfect to treat mom on Mother’s Day. Various components can be assembled the day prior to baking. You can even slide the rolls out of the package, cut your “X“ in each, and slide them back in, and no one would be the wiser.

King’s Hawaiian Cheesecake Danish

1 12-pack King's Hawaiian original sweet rolls

1/2 c. + 2 T. butter melted

3 T. brown sugar

2 t. ground cinnamon

¼ t. ground nutmeg

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

¼ c. granulated sugar

¼ t. almond extract

1 large egg, beaten

 Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt 2 T. butter and brush evenly along the bottom and up the sides of a 10” x 10” baking dish; set aside.

Separate the rolls and place into prepared pan. With a sharp knife (I used a fish boning knife), cut an “X” into the top of each roll about 2/3 of the way down.

 Stir together the 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a small bowl; pour evenly over the rolls. Beat the softened cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, almond extract, and egg, and beat until incorporated.

Transfer cream cheese mixture into a piping bag fitted with a wide tip. Press the tip down into the “X” that you created in each roll, and pipe full. You will see the roll expand as it fills with the delicious cheesecake filling.

 Bake, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes. In order to prevent sticking, allow rolls to cool for a couple of minutes, and then remove to a serving plate. Serve warm.

6 comments:

Gina said...

I love a good King's roll sammie but this looks decadent!

Marie Smith said...

These look sinful. Our grandkids will enjoy them!

Linda said...

What a great idea! These looks heavenly. That blob of sweet cream cheese - OMG! I feel like you do about their rolls just as dinner rolls - I was underwhelmed. But I love recipes using them as an ingredient.

Paquita said...

I can't wait to try this recipe for Easter brunch! Thanks so much for sharing it! Happy Easter!

The Tote Trove said...

I love King's Hawaiian rolls, and I love cheese Danish, so these look absolutely scrumptious! All hail the duchess of decadence (that's you 😀)!

thepaintedapron.com said...

I love these rolls {me with a sweet tooth} I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks Pattie :)
Jenna