Friday, June 30, 2023

Purple & Yellow Summer Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette

 
One of the best things I did this year was to give over one of my window boxes on the deck to the growing of lettuce. This beautiful variety is called “Merlot.” Interestingly enough, it was not my plan to grow lettuce. I got the seeds for free as a ‘thank you for the purchase of other seeds, so I decided to give it a try. Now I am hooked! This is a beautiful, tender, delicate lettuce that has been a wonderful addition to my dinner table. Every evening I go out with the scissors, cut what I’d like, experiment with different colors and ingredients, and enjoy a colorful, healthy, and delicious main or side.
 
Today I decided to focus on purple and yellow in my salad, and the results are absolutely delicious. The beauty of summer is that so many diverse fresh fruits and vegetables are available. I intend to take advantage of as many as I can.

Purple & Yellow Summer Salad

with Lemon Vinaigrette

Use the following ingredients in any quantity:
Merlot Lettuce
Blueberries
Fresh corn, stripped from cob
Blue cheese
Red Onion, thinly sliced

Melissa’s Yellow Watermelon
Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe below)

 Lemon Vinaigrette

 ¼ c. fresh lemon juice

1/3 cextra-virgin olive oil

1 t. Melissa’s minced garlic

1 t. Dijon mustard

1 t. sugar

¼ t. kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

 Place all ingredients into the work bowl of a mini food processor and process until emulsified. Taste for seasoning.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 

5 comments:

Donna said...

Love the salad and your photos are always so beautiful!
hugs
Donna

Gina said...

That looks incredibly refreshing and delish and your photo of lettuce could go into a seed catalog. Just beautiful!

Marie Smith said...

I’m growing that lettuce this year! Nice to have a recipe for it!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Marie, did you get it as a free pack with an order from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds? Honestly, this has been the best seed that I have ever gotten from them. It is 99° here today, and the lettuce is still producing. I have never had lettuce go this long without bolting.

Linda said...

Wow Pattie that lettuce looks amazing! That window box must be the perfect environment for it. Good to know that it is still producing in this heat. I've never had much luck with lettuce but I am adding this one to my list for next spring. Now on to the salad - oh my gosh it's making my mouth water! And it's not even 8am yet - lol!