Thursday, June 29, 2023

Spinach and Mushroom Tart

 
I don’t know about you, but I will often buy things at the grocery store with the intention of using them for a specific recipe, and then, as soon as I get home, can’t find the recipe. As often as this happens to me, you’d think I would do something about it, but no. Such was the case with a package of crêpes. Somewhere I knew that I had seen a recipe for a tart using crepes, but I couldn’t, for the life of me, find it. I remembered that the recipe called for spinach and mushrooms, but that was the extent of my remembrance.

 Today, feeling a bit cocky, I decided to make up my own, and boy, was it delicious! Honestly, I couldn’t believe how good it turned out to be. There are so many wonderful things that you can do with crêpes, but the most important thing is, don’t make your own when beautiful, delicious ones are available ready-made from Melissa’s Produce. This recipe would make a wonderful brunch, lunch, or dinner addition. It could be a main for brunch or lunch, and a side dish for dinner. If you want to make it heartier, add some chopped ham, or cooked and crumbled bacon. I don’t think you can go wrong.

Spinach and Mushroom Tart

 2 T. butter

2 T. flour

2 c. whole milk

Few gratings whole nutmeg

Salt and pepper, to taste

2 T. butter

8 oz. fresh baby spinach

2 c. sliced crimini portobello mushrooms

1 t. Melissa’s minced garlic

¼ t. Montréal Steak Seasoning

4 green onions, thinly sliced

2 c. grated Monterey Jack cheese

1 10-pack Melissa’s Ready-to-Use Crêpes

2 scallions, thinly chopped

Red pepper flakes

 Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 10” skillet or sauté pan with PAM; set aside.

In another large skillet, melt butter and sauté the spinach, mushrooms, and garlic until mushrooms are soft and spinach has wilted; set aside.

Make the béchamel sauce by melting butter over medium heat in a 1.5-qt saucepan. Whisk in the flour and continue to cook and stir until golden. Slowly whisk in the milk; cook until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Stir in nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and set aside to cool slightly.

 Once the sauce cools down, measure out 1/4 cup, set aside, and mix the rest with the spinach and mushrooms.

 To assemble, place 2 crêpes into the bottom of the prepared 10” skillet. Spread about 1/3 c. of the béchamel sauce mixed with the spinach and mushrooms over the top. Sprinkle with some of the grated cheese.

 Repeat this process, using a two-crêpe layer each time. When you have only two crepes left, pour reserved béchamel sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese, scallions, and pepper flakes.

 Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until edges of crêpes are flaky and golden, and sauce is bubbling around the edges.

Allow to rest for five minutes before slicing and serving. It is delicious warm or at room temperature, so is perfect for a buffet.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

6 comments:

Donna said...

Delicious!
hugs

Donna said...

Love these kinds of meals.
hugs
Donna

Marie Smith said...

Looks delicious, as always!

Marigene said...

Anything with mushrooms is delicious!
I have a 5"x7" spiral notebook I use for my grocery list. When I buy something for a recipe that I have never made before I write on the preceding page what it for, or the actual recipe, so I know exactly why I bought it. Sometimes I forget why I bought it, old age, you know!
Marigene

Linda said...

What a cool idea! How is the crust made from crepes - crunchy? It looks delicious. I had no idea Melissa's sold crepes.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Yes, Linda, the crêpes are wonderfully crunchy. This also reheats beautifully in an air fryer.