Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Artichoke Portobello Soup

 
On a 92° day, when I nearly succumbed to the heat while out on the deck transplanting plants in preparation for bringing them indoors, you wouldn’t think I would spend my afternoon making soup, but I did. I was recently provided with a complementary copy of Kneader’s Bakery and Cafe Cookbook, thanks to both the publisher and Melissa’s Produce. I’ll be reviewing this book in the near future, but, intrigued by the recipe for Artichoke Portobello Soup, I had to make it. I altered the recipe a bit, because it had more steps than need be. For example, the original recipe calls for you to make a roux outside of the soup and stir it in. Why?  I didn’t bother. I also thought it needed more mushrooms than it called for, plus in my local market they come three to a pack. This is a unique and delicious soup. I made it in my new GreenPan (that has significantly changed my cooking life in a very positive way), and it took no more than 20 minutes. It freezes well, so give it a try, and be ready to have a company worthy soup as well as one you will enjoy during the cold, gray days of winter.
Artichoke Portobello Soup

½ c. butter, divided
½ c. sliced green onions
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
3
Melissa’s portobello mushrooms, chopped
1 bay leaf
½ t. dried thyme
½ t. dried oregano
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
4 c. chicken broth
1 10-14-oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained & sliced
3 T. flour
1 c. heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter. Sauté the onion, carrots, and celery until they begin to caramelize, about eight minutes. Add chopped mushrooms, and sauté an additional 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the bay leaf, time, oregano, cayenne, and artichokes. Add the remaining ¼ cup butter, stirring until melted. Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture, continuing to stir until it is fully incorporated. Stir in broth, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Slowly add the heavy cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the broth is slightly thickened and is heated through. Remove bay leaf before serving.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


3 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Interesting that the soup calls for marinated artichokes. I would be more inclined to use frozen or canned that are not marinated. Anyway, the soup looks good and can't believe you still have 92 degree weather. We have finally hit the high of 60's in Philadelphia.

Marie Smith said...

Looks delicious! As always. You are adventurous with food!

Linda said...

Pattie that looks fabulously delicious! I'm scratching my head wondering why I've never had artichoke soup. That's quite a fancy pan!