Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Chewy Pecan Bars

 
A number of years ago, and by a number I mean that it could be 10, it could be more, who knows? The time flies by so quickly I have a hard time keeping track. Anyway, back in the day, the Archway Cookie Company used to offer, in their collection of cookies, pecan cookies. They were similar to a chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate chips. Those were my favorite of all of the cookies they made, so naturally they were discontinued. This pretty much happens with all of my favorite products, don’t get me started.
I was wondering about those cookies the other day and started googling for recipes. I didn’t come up with exactly what I was looking for, but I managed to combine enough recipes that I found, providing me with the results that I was hoping for. I prefer a crunchy rather than chewy cookie, so I baked mine for the full 35 minutes, probably more like 37. If you would like your cookie crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, you might want to opt for the lower end, say 28 to 30 minutes. Once you get started, it’s hard to stop eating these.Chewy Pecan Bars

1 c. butter, melted
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 t.
vanilla extract
1 t. butter flavoring
2 large eggs
2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. kosher salt
1 c. pecans, rough chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a
9” x 13” straight-sided baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both of the long sides. This will facilitate easy lifting from the pan after the cookies have been baked and cooled. Spray foil with Baker’s Joy; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the melted butter and two sugars until smooth and creamy. Stir in vanilla extract and butter flavoring. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and beat until incorporated; do not over mix. Fold in pecans.

Transfer batter to the prepared pan and smooth out. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown and the edges are crispy. Remove from the oven to a wire rack and let cookies cool completely before removing from pan and slicing into squares.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

3 comments:

Gina said...

These were some of my favorite bar cookies - my mother made them! I actually prefer them over brownies and I loved the side pieces that were chewy and crisp and soooo buttery. The more pecans the better! I need to make these soon.

Marie Smith said...

Love the idea of melted butter rather than creaming it! Looks delicious!

Linda said...

I have a recipe similar to this and we really like them as an alternative to brownies. Those crisp edges look wonderful.