Monday, September 23, 2024

Brown Butter and Herb Baked Halibut

 
As I’ve mentioned any number of times on this blog, the late Mr. O-P was the fish cooker in the family. The first time I had salmon was when Jim made it for me, and I absolutely loved it. After that I branched out a bit to discover that I like quite a few kinds of fish.  I never had much fish growing up because my mother just never made it, and I think our pallets are shaped by our parents’ tastes, and doubtless theirs by their own parents, but I digress. I decided to treat myself to a subscription to Wild Alaskan Company. I am in no way affiliated with them, I am just very pleased with their products. Thus far I have tried the salmon, and now the halibut (my first time ever eating halibut). Not only is it quick and easy to prepare, but the result is restaurant quality. I couldn’t believe how good it was. The fact that I had made it myself was just a bonus.

I failed to write down my instructions for the salmon because I was just experimenting, but I did when I made the halibut, and am sharing it here with you; I know that you're going to love it. My guess is that this would work with any white fish.
Brown Butter and Herb Baked Halibut

1 stick (½ c.) butter
2/3 c. crushed
saltines
¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
½ t.
dried basil
½ t. dried oregano
½ t. salt
¼ t.
garlic powder
1 lb. halibut fillets, thawed, drained, and patted dry

 Preheat oven to 350°F.

 Place butter into a 9” x 13” casserole dish and melt in the oven as it preheats (approximately 6 to 7 minutes). Meanwhile, in a 9” pie pan, place all ingredients except the fish, stirring to combine thoroughly.

Remove casserole dish with the now melted butter from the oven, dip fish fillets in the butter, and then dredge them in the crumb mixture. Place fillets back into the baking pan, and bake in the center of the oven for 25 - 35 minutes or until fish is tender, and flakes with a fork.

Serve immediately, drizzling the brown butter that has accumulated on the bottom of the pan over each fillet of fish.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

2 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We both love halibut, a beautiful fish. I will get some this week! This coating looks good.

Linda said...

That halibut looks beautiful! Nice and thick too. Looks very good, thanks for the recipe!