Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Old Fashioned Butter Cookies

Back when I was in college (when dinosaurs roamed the earth), I discovered a little bakery a couple of miles from my house that made the absolute best butter cookies. They were about 4 inches wide, and packed with buttery goodness. As often happens, no sooner than I found it, the owner retired, and it closed. Since that time, I have been trying to find a recipe that replicated the sweet buttery goodness of those cookies. My search is over!

I recently found this recipe on the Tasting Table website. I made them yesterday, and they are phenomenal! There is a downside, however. Despite the recipe’s insistence that it makes 24, I only ended up with a dozen 3-inch wide cookies. It also takes brute strength to pipe this dough, at least using the Wilton piping bags that I had on hand. Perhaps there are larger ones specifically designed for pastry, but I was at a loss. I found the cookies were better the second day, than they were the first, always a bonus, I think. If you like butter cookies as much as I do, try this recipe. Phenomenal!


Old Fashioned Butter Cookies

Adapted from The Tasting Table

 1 c. butter, softened to room temperature

½ c. sugar

2 egg yolks

2 t. vanilla extract

Pinch kosher salt

1½ c. flour

 In a large bowl cream softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

 Mix in the egg yolks and vanilla extract until well combined.

Add salt, and then slowly add the flour while mixing until well incorporated and the dough comes together.

 Place the dough into a piping bag, and use a large star tip to pipe out circles of cookie dough onto a Silpat or nonstick baking sheet. (For an easier version, use a cookie scoop to drop cookie dough onto nonstick baking sheets.)

 Place the baking sheets into the fridge, and chill for at least 30 minutes.

 Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes until the edges are just golden brown.

 Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes, and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.


 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

6 comments:

Gina said...

I do love a buttery cookie with my hot cocoa! Those look wonderful!

Marie Smith said...

They look delicious! I made a flourless peanut butter cookie recipe recently which was supposed to make three dozen cookies. I didn’t get half that. The size they advocate must be tiny! I will make them thinner next time! Your cookies must be tiny too if made the way the recipe says.

Linda said...

What a beautiful cookie! I love a good butter cookie, thanks for doing the research. ;)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

These cookies do look amazing and I always eat my cookies with a glass of milk

The Tote Trove said...

These cookies are so pretty, well worth all that brute strength! And it's wonderful that you were able to find the recipe for your college favorites. Here's to delicious desserts and nostalgia! :)

bread&salt said...

These cookies look fingerlickingly delicious and goes well with our tea breaks. Have a wonderful new week.