Friday, January 7, 2022

Creole Potato Salad

  I don’t know about the rest of you, but while I don’t make New Year's resolutions, I do try to set certain goals for myself. One of my goals for this year was to get rid of all of that questionable food in the freezer. So many things I will package, label, and put into the freezer with the best of intentions, and end up doing nothing with, only to have it get freezer burnt, or dried up and turned into little clumps of frozen dust.


The other day I decided to put my last two frozen pork steaks into the crockpot, rub them with
Smokehouse Maple Seasoning, top them with oodles of barbecue sauce, and then just let them simmer on low all day. I had coleslaw from the previous night, but needed another side dish so decided to try a new recipe that I had seen in Louisiana Cookin’ magazine. This is phenomenal! I made a few adjustments to suit what I like, and I think this is my new favorite. It has a bit of a kick, thanks to the Creole mustard and Creole seasoning, but if you aren’t a fan of any kind of heat, don’t put the Creole seasoning on top, replace it with paprika.

Creole Potato Salad

Slightly adapted from Louisiana Cookin’

 3 lbs. Melissa’s organic red potatoes, quartered

2 T. plus ¼ t. kosher salt

1 c. Duke’s mayonnaise

3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped

3 T. apple cider vinegar

½ c. sweet pickle relish

1½ t. sweet pickle juice

1½ t. yellow mustard

1½ t. Creole mustard

½ c. chopped Melissa’s shallots

¼ c. chopped parsley

½ t. freshly ground black pepper

¼ t.  Creole Seasoning

In a 3-quart saucepan, add potatoes and 2 tablespoons salt; cover with cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until just tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain, and let cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ingredients. Add potatoes, and gently combine. Sprinkle with additional Creole seasoning, if desired. Serve at room temperature or chilled.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

7 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Looks (and sounds) delish! Thanks for sharing!

Marie Smith said...

I hear you about the freezer. I need to complete that task too.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Oh - this looks so good. I do love potato salad. As far as the freezer goes, I usually don't bother because eventually it gets freezer burned and I end up dumping things. I'm not good at freezing.

Balvinder said...

I am always looking for great potato salad recipes and this one looks wonderfully creamy and spiced to my taste.

Linda said...

It looks like wonderful potato salad. I've met very few I didn't like. I need to get some Creole mustard and try this! And I've never tried Creole mustard, I know, I'm so pathetic.

sandy said...

It looks really good. i actually am not sure what Creole taste like.

bread&salt said...

We love and make potatoes salad alot during the year. This recipe looks very different. I really havent tried this kind of salad before. Thanks for the recipe.