Monday, March 7, 2022

Apple Pecan Spice Cake with Toffee Glaze

I tend to indulge, perhaps overindulge, myself in magazine subscriptions. What can I tell you? I love periodicals. One of the magazines to which I subscribe is Bake from Scratch. I’m not quite sure why I subscribe to this one because, as I have mentioned before, I don’t bake, but there are so many wonderful things to look at in every issue that my subscription continues on. Last month, I found myself being unable to resist the “Bundt of the Month,” and had to make it. What a wonderful cake! Not all Bundt cakes or company worthy, but this one certainly is. The toffee glaze alone I could eat with a spoon.

Apple Pecan Spice Cake with Toffee Glaze

Ever so slightly adapted from Bake from Scratch

 

1¾ c. firmly packed dark brown sugar

1 c. canola oil

¾ c. sour cream, room temperature

3 large eggs, room temperature

1 T. vanilla extract

3 c. all-purpose flour

1 t. baking soda

1 t. kosher salt

1 t. ground allspice

1 t. ground cinnamon

¾ t. ground nutmeg

¼ t. ground cloves

2 c. (¼-inch) diced peeled Melissa’s Granny Smith apples (about 2 large apples)

¾ c. roughly chopped toasted pecans

Toffee Glaze (recipe follows)

 Preheat oven to 325°F.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat brown sugar, oil, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla at medium speed until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, kosher salt, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating just until combined. Fold in apples and pecans. (Batter will be thick and it may seem like you have too many apples, but it will be fine.)

 Spray a 10-cup Nordic Ware Bavaria Bundt Pan with baking spray with flour. Using a pastry brush, spread any excess spray in pan, blotting brush with a paper towel as needed. Using a ¼-cup spring-loaded scoop, transfer batter to prepared pan. Tap pan on counter several times to spread batter into grooves and release any air bubbles. (The pan will be quite full, but the batter will not overflow.)

Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using a small offset spatula, gently loosen cake from center of pan. Invert onto a wire rack placed over a rimmed baking sheet, leaving pan on cake; let stand for 10 minutes. Remove pan, and let cool completely.

 Spoon part of Toffee Glaze all over cooled cake. To coat sides, drizzle with additional Toffee Glaze, and spread with back of spoon. Garnish with pecans and sea salt, if desired. Let stand for 15 minutes; transfer cake to a serving plate. Serve with any extra Toffee Glaze.

  Makes 1 (10-cup) Bundt cake

 Toffee Glaze

 1 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar

⅔ c. dark corn syrup

⅓ c. heavy whipping cream

¼ c. unsalted butter, cubed

¼ t. kosher salt

½ t. vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, bring brown sugar, corn syrup, cream, butter, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla. Transfer mixture to a medium heatproof bowl. Let cool for 20 minutes. Use immediately.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I have to say your photo is killing me. That cake looks like the perfect texture. I like the way you put the batter in the pan, that must help with air bubbles as well as tapping it on the counter. Love the pan! I recently became enamored with old-fashioned 10-inch square tube pans. I've only been able to find them on eBay. Do you own one?
(I know I need cataract surgery, but I can't find the glaze recipe)

Marie Smith said...

Sinfully delicious!

sandy said...

oh wow.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

OMG. Does this every look delicious!