Tuesday, March 1, 2022

St. Patrick's Day Lunch

It’s March! Can you believe it? I’m wondering what happened to February, and yet Valentine’s Day seems so long ago. Now that they are both behind us, it is time to think spring and St. Patrick’s Day! Not all inviting dinner tables need to be over the top, some can be beautiful in their simplicity, and such is the case with this table set for a holiday luncheon.

This table is simple, but sweet. It features green luncheon plates with matching soup cups, as well as stemmed fruit bowls, that I inherited from my second mother, Betty, when she passed away a number of years ago. Mother, Betty, and I would get together once a month. I would take the ladies on “field trips” every other month, driving them all around the city to places they wanted to see, but wouldn’t go to on their own. Each outing had to consist of a stop at a bakery. I can’t tell you how many bakeries we visited. It was great fun. Ahead of time I would make up an itinerary, include the menu of the restaurant where we were going to dine, and send it to them in an appropriately decorated envelope.

On alternate months we would dine at each other’s homes; Betty always served us using this set of dinnerware. I can’t tell you how much I miss our get-togethers, but when I’m feeling down, I get out this set of dinnerware and reminisce.

The centerpiece of this table is one I use every year. It is the leprechaun pitcher from Fitz & Floyd, filled with a pot of fresh shamrocks. A small pot of green and white M&Ms – mint flavored – sit at the base representing the pot of gold.

Crystal glasses by Mikasa were gifted to me by a friend. The table runner is from Pottery Barn; the placemats are woven water hyacinth. The white chargers (that I use again and again, and will never regret purchasing) are from Pier 1. The understated cottage salt and pepper shakers are by Magnolia Home.

Keep this simple table in mind when you get ready to set one for yourself, friends, or family. You don’t have to be over-the-top spectacular to be inviting.

  This post is linked to: Tablescape Thursday

12 comments:

Linda said...

Your luncheons with Betty and your Mom sound like so much fun! I love the luncheon dishes you inherited from Betty. I will always regret that I sold the green Fostoria glasses that I picked out before we got married. It was during a crazy period of my life when I thought I was over that particular shade of green. Well it turns out that I'd give anything to have them back now.

Marie Smith said...

I have a tea set from my grandmother which means the world to me. Your set is beautiful and using it is a wonderful way to remember and celebrate your second mother.

Lana said...

I have eight of those green party plates and cups given to me by my late Great Aunt. We used them on Christmas Eve when our kids were growing up and they hold a lot of fond memories.

Anonymous said...

Charming table setting and what a lovely, sweet story about Betty and friends and adventures. Thank you for sharing.
Enjoy March and Happy Saint Patrick’s Day. xo, V.
ps. It’s too bad we don’t hear the name ‘Betty’ much anymore.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Are you a fan of Midsomer Murders, by chance, Anonymous? The daughter of Detective John Barnaby is named Betty.

Anonymous said...

Hello Pattie. I’ll have to check that show out, thanks. I do love this table setting! xo, V.

thepaintedapron.com said...

Oh Pattie, the pitcher is just adorable! What a wonderful St. Patrick's Day table with just the right amount of mischief! Sweet memories too...Happy March!
Jenna

Sarah said...

Pattie, this is delightful. The vintage Fritz and Floyd leprechaun pitcher is a great piece to have. It would star on my St. Pat's table each year if I had one. F&F has some great designs. Love the green glass pieces. I'm working on a table tomorrow. Happy St. Pat's!

The Tote Trove said...

No one sets a table like you do! Your St. Patrick's Day one is so charming, a real breath of spring. It's lovely that you use Betty's plates. I enjoyed reading about your memories of her, especially the trips to the bakery. :)

Thelma said...

I love this table setting especially the green dessert dishes. I used to have them and regret giving them away.

bread&salt said...

What a beautiful table! I loved the table setting very much. Looks great.

Alycia Nichols said...

This made me tear up. I know those are the times you miss so much. We enjoy those times when they're happening, but we have no idea just how much we will miss them when they're gone and irretrievable. It's wonderful that you have Betty's dishes to help you reflect on those good times. "Little things" like dishes can mean big things.