Friday, March 25, 2022

Chili Cornbread Bake

 

One of the things I like about spring is its versatility. One day I’m outside enjoying the sun and 83° temperatures, the next I’m curled up in front of a fire watching a British mystery on TV and having comfort food. Yesterday was one of those fire and comfort food days. I chose a recipe that looked both tasty and comforting, and for which I had all of the ingredients. While it’s probably not company worthy, it is certainly family friendly.

Chili Cornbread Bake

Chili:
1½ lbs. ground chuck
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
½ t. dried oregano
½ t. kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies (
Rotel)
1 8-oz. can of tomato sauce
1 14.5-oz. can cream style corn, divided

Cornbread topping:
2/3 c. flour
½ c. yellow cornmeal
1/3 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
½ t. salt
1 large egg
1 c. shredded cheddar jack cheese, divided
¼ c. whole milk
1 T. fresh cilantro, minced
1-2
Melissa’s pickled jalapeƱos, sliced

Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with PAM.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Brown ground beef, onion, garlic, and seasonings, stirring occasionally. Stir in diced tomatoes and green chilies, tomato sauce, and ½ can of cream style corn. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish

Make the cornbread topping:

In a medium bowl whisk together flour, yellow cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, ¾ c. cheese, milk, and the remaining half can of cream style corn. Pour over beef mixture, and spread to the edges. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cornbread is baked through and make sure it’s hot and bubbly.

Top with sour cream, chopped cilantro, and slices of jalapeƱo.
 


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

 

7 comments:

Lori E said...

This popped up at the perfect time! I had planned on making something else for someone, but it turns out they are not needing it.
Now I will make this for us and will enjoy every bit of it. Love it when I have every single ingredient on hand.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I know what you mean about spring- sometimes April is warm and then we will get a cold May! Your recipe looks delicious and I love the idea of the cornbread topping

Marie Smith said...

We aren’t cornbread eaters but it looks so good with the chilli.

Linda said...

That looks so good, especially the cornbread topping! The addition of the cream corn in the chili is genius.

Gina said...

This looks so comforting - extra sour cream on mine, please.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This is such good comfort food! My Daddy used to make this when I was a girl...brings back memories!

The Liberty Belle said...

This looks good and comforting. I'm glad that you shared the recipe. I can very easily veganize it too.