Wednesday, May 11, 2022

KFC Coleslaw

I’m going to say something a bit controversial here, and I’m sure that I’m in the minority, but I like coleslaw. It’s a great picnic food, it’s wonderful with breaded shrimp, it makes a great topping for sloppy joes or barbecued beef, it’s inexpensive, fairly nutritious, no trouble to put together, and generally makes a LOT! Occasionally I’ll rummage around looking for new recipes and recently when I did I came upon this one, supposedly a clone of coleslaw from KFC. I haven’t been to KFC in more than a decade, so I honestly can’t say if this is like their coleslaw or not, but with my changes, it is very good. It also keeps in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days, becoming more flavorful as each day passes. Be sure to give it a stir daily to keep things fresh.

 KFC Coleslaw

Adapted from the original

Coleslaw 

½ Melissa’s organic cabbage, finely chopped (about 3 c.)

1 large carrot, grated

1 small Melissa’s shallot, minced

 Dressing:

 ¼ c. Duke’s mayonnaise

3 T. granulated sugar

2 T. whole milk

2 T. buttermilk

1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 T. apple cider vinegar

¼ t. salt

1/8 t. ground pepper

Pinch cayenne

Pinch dry mustard

Rather than use a grater, the way that I like to chop cabbage is with a sharp knife. I will slice it in half from top to core, cut out the half core that remains in the slice, put the cut side down on a cutting board, and start at one end and make thin slices. Then I will chop through those slices top to bottom, bottom to top, right to left, and left to right until everything is chopped fine. I do the same thing with the shallot. After all of your vegetables are chopped (or grated as in the case of the carrot, and you might want to run a knife through it to keep everything even) place it into a medium/large bowl.

 Whisk the dressing ingredients thoroughly until combined. Pour over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring once or twice. Stir again before serving.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

3 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We eat coleslaw a lot. I will try this recipe for sure. Thank you!

Gina said...

I choose coleslaw over potato salad every time and I love the KFC version. There's just something about a salty crispy chicken and sweet creamy coleslaw combo - I'm ready for lunch already and its only 725 a.m.!

Lana said...

We make this often and have it on the fridge to eat on for several days.