Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Raggedy Jean Cookies

Occasionally I will get out my mother’s recipe box and rummage through. So many memories always come back as I mentally revisit parties, delicious desserts, and recipes contributed by friends, all written out in their own, unique handwriting. Recently I found a recipe that I hadn’t paid much attention to before. It appeared as though it had come from a box or bag of C&H sugar, but unlike many recipes retrieved from packaging, this one had actually been written out by hand. That told me that this one had been tried and kept, ergo was a good one. I gave it a try, wondering if I would live to regret my purchase of maple flavoring. As it turned out, no I did not. These are delicious; far better than I expected them to be. Flavorful, crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, with the coconut giving them their delightful raggedy edges.

Raggedy Jean Cookies
Adapted from Jean Porter, C&H Sugar

1 c. dark brown sugar
1 c.
butter flavor Crisco shortening
1 large egg
1 t.
maple flavoring
2 ¼ c. flour
½ t. baking powder
½ t. kosher salt
1 c. shredded coconut
Granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In the work bowl of your stand mixer beat together brown sugar, shortening, egg, and maple flavoring until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add flour, baking powder, and salt; mix to combine. Stir in coconut. Using a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop, drop in mounds 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheet or Silpat. Dip bottom of greased small glass into granulated sugar, and press cookie flat leaving edges ragged. Bake 15 to 16 minutes. Cool on rack.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

5 comments:

Gina said...

That looks like a cookie my mother would make - pure nostalgia!

Marie Smith said...

Look delicious as usual! I haven’t used shortening for decades.

Linda said...

Oh yum these look wonderful! It's time I made some cookies just for me, and I love maple flavoring! Thanks for sharing from your Mom's recipe box, those are always the best.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

OOOH, YUM, your photos made my mouth water. I think I could live on cookies alone!

Alycia Nichols said...

I'm really looking forward to making these. The "chewy on the inside" part loudly beckons!!!