Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Jalapeño Poppers for the Fainthearted

Those of you who like the idea of jalapeño poppers, but can’t take the heat, these are for you. In order to remove the heat from jalapeños, all you need to do is soak them in cold water, the longer you do so, the less heat you will have. I wanted my poppers to have no heat whatsoever, so that the delicious flavor of the jalapeño could come through. The beauty of this is that all of the prep work can be done ahead of time. If you have never been able to eat jalapeño poppers before, you need this recipe.

Jalapeño Poppers for the Fainthearted

 1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

¼ c. Duke's mayonnaise

1 1-oz. (3 T.) pkg. Ranch Salad Dressing Mix

1½ t. garlic powder

10 Melissa’s jalapeno peppers

1 lb. thin sliced bacon, cut in half

 A day ahead of time place the jalapeños in a medium-size bowl of water and place it in the fridge. The morning of the day that you plan to make these, put on kitchen gloves, cut them in half, and remove the ribs and seeds. Put them back into the bowl, cover them with fresh water, and put them back into the refrigerator for at least three more hours. An hour before assembly, remove them from the bowl and place them cut side down on a double paper towel-lined plate and allow them to dry.

 Preheat an oven to 400°F.

 With a hand-held mixer, mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, ranch dressing mix, and garlic powder in a medium bowl until evenly blended.

 Divide mixture between jalapeño halves. (I like to pipe the cheese into them because I find it quicker and easier). Wrap with half a bacon strip, and secure with a toothpick. Arrange the wrapped jalapeno halves onto a broiler pan.

 Bake until the bacon is no longer pink and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes.

 

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

  

4 comments:

Latane Barton said...

Well, that's good to know. My daughter is allergic (badly so) to the capsacine found in peppers. I must tell her about this. Thanks,

Linda said...

Look delicious Pattie. I never knew that about jalapenos! The first time I ever had poppers was back in the late 1990s, and they were a new item at Sonic. I loved them and have enjoyed the occasional appetizer at a restaurant. They are always pretty hot! I do enjoy just the flavor of any peppers, so this is a welcome recipe.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Latane and Linda, so glad to know that I was able to help you both out with removing heat from jalapeños. I can take a little heat, but not a lot of it, and you just never know with a jalapeño.

Marie Smith said...

Great news about the jalapeños. I didn’t know that! Brilliant!