Friday, January 20, 2023

German Potato Salad Soup


I like potatoes; they are one of my favorite vegetables. One of the reasons for my fondness is that they are incredibly versatile. The other day I was making potato salad — the German variety — to have alongside some brisket, and was wondering if German potato salad would translate into soup. Indeed, it does, and quite deliciously. This soup has a lot of flavor and complex tastes from the tang of the vinegar and sauerkraut to the uniqueness of the caraway seeds; add a bit of corned beef to this and you have a Reuben in a bowl. This pairs well with said Reuben, or a Rachel sandwich, and can be made chunky or smooth.

German Potato Salad Soup

4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
2
Melissa’s organic yellow onions, diced
½ c. sauerkraut
1 bay leaf
6 c. of chicken broth
¼ c. cider vinegar
4 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 t.
dried marjoram
1 t. caraway seeds
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ c. heavy cream

In a stock pot, cook bacon until brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside. Add onions and bay leaf to the drippings in the pan, and cook and stir until onions are transparent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sauerkraut and cook one minute more.

Pour chicken broth into the pot; add vinegar, potatoes, marjoram, caraway seed, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and bacon and cook another 1-2 minutes. Blend with immersion blender. (You can leave it partially chunky, if desired.) Top with additional bacon, caraway seeds, or chopped parsley.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Yummy. My husband would love the sauerkraut!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

MMMM...I could live on soup - This sounds tasty and love how you garnished it

Linda said...

What a unique idea! I bet I would love this - I love all forms of potato soup.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love potatoes too and potato soup sounds perfect

Balvinder said...

I love potatoes too but my husband doesn't. Sometimes I just pan fry potatoes for myself to with fish. The soup looks lovely I think I should make it for myself.