Thursday, January 19, 2023

Nutty Chicken Salad

Back in the day my mother used to play bridge a couple of times a week. I don’t play bridge, but I can totally get on board with playing cards with women a couple of times a week. Different women rotated hosting the gatherings every week. There was always a signature cocktail, delicious food, dessert (naturally), and lots of conviviality. Sometimes there were prizes. What’s not to like about that? Does anyone play bridge anymore? If not, why not? Invite me! I don’t play bridge, as I mentioned, but if there is ever a Crazy Eights party, count me in!  My mother always tried to be unique and innovative with her meals. She used to tell me that she was so sick of chicken salad because that’s all anybody ever seemed to make — hot chicken salad, cold chicken salad, chicken salad on lettuce leaves, chicken salad in a pineapple boat, you name it, she ate it. As a consequence, she grew to have quite a disdain for chicken salad. Me? I love it!

I was experimenting last week and as I was making the chicken salad my eyes rested upon a large canister of mixed nuts that I had recently purchased. I wondered how the combination of cashews, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, and pistachios would be in chicken salad. Let me tell you, it was magnificent! I loved the variety of tastes and the crunchiness, paired with the creaminess of the chicken. Winner!

Nutty Chicken Salad

2 c. cooked, cubed chicken
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 T. finely chopped
Melissa’s shallot
½ c. salted mixed nuts, rough chopped
½ c. Duke’s mayonnaise
1/8 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. smoked paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Place all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Fold together until combined. Chill 2-4 hours (preferably overnight) before serving.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

6 comments:

Gina said...

I love cards (Crazy 8s, Skip-Bo, Phase 10) and Hubby and I would play often. No one will do that with me anymore (my kids say NO) so maybe I need to form a group! Chicken salad is on my lunch menu for tomorrow so maybe I should grab some mixed nuts on my way home from work today. Sounds so good!

Marie Smith said...

Great idea, as always!

Robin said...

My mom belonged to a pinocle club. She was always a lot happier when she got home because she'd been out with her friends. I was always a little jealous of the finger sandwiches.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Yes, Robin! I was always envious of those lunches.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I don't play bridge but I do have a regular women's card game of Canasta and also a regular May Jong game. We don't serve at cards but we serve snacks, fruit, and dessert and coffee at Mac Jong. Enjoyed the story that goes along with your chicken salad which looks amazing.

Linda said...

I'm with you on chicken salad - I never tire of it. I think the nuts would be fantastic in it!