Friday, January 6, 2023

Mixed Vegetable Casserole

 
If you’re anything like me, and like to have one or two vegetables with your evening meal, by week’s end you have a lot of leftover vegetable portions that are often destined for the bin. I told myself that this year I was going to do my very best to not waste as much food as I have in the past, and this casserole is the result. It really is delicious, and the surprising outcome of trying to make do with every little leftover bit. If you keep something like this in mind for the end of the week, it can help you with meal planning earlier in the week because you can make vegetables that you know will combine well into this casserole. Give it a try, and let me know what you think. My guess is that you could easily pass this off on company, and they’d love it!

Mixed Vegetable Casserole

 6 c. mixed vegetables*

1 10.6-oz. can cream of mushroom soup

½ c. sour cream

1 large egg, beaten

¼ c. heavy cream

¼ t. onion powder

¼ t. parsley flakes

¼ t. garlic powder

¼ t. smoked paprika

½ t. salt

½ t. freshly ground black pepper

2½ c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided

1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed

6 T. melted butter

 Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9” x9” casserole dish (or similarly sized dish) with PAM; set aside.

 If vegetables are uncooked, blanch for five minutes; drain.

 In a medium mixing bowl, stir together soup, sour cream, egg, cream, herbs and spices, and 2 cups of the cheese. Fold in reserved vegetables. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, and cover all with the cracker crumbs. Drizzle melted butter on top.

 Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the edges are bubbly at the top is brown. Cover with foil if it shows signs of burning.

 *I use broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, red onion, and corn.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

5 comments:

Linda said...

I would eat socks with that buttery, cheesy Ritz crust. ;) Great idea Pattie!

Marie Smith said...

Yummy looking. Must try!

Balvinder said...

The vegetable casserole looks truly delicious.Like you we eat vegetables every night.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Great idea. I always have vegetables left over and at the end of the week most likely they get tossed.

The Tote Trove said...

Oh, I love a casserole! I went through a phase years ago when I made them all the time. This one looks so good, especially with that Ritz cracker crumb topping. 🥕🧀🥦🌽🧅