Wednesday, January 18, 2023

New York Times’ Chocolate Whiskey Cake


My search has begun for the perfect whiskey cake to serve at my annual St. Patrick’s Day dinner. I started with this one, a recipe from the New York Times. My interest is in chocolate, and whiskey, in cake form. This cake was deeply flavored, densely chocolate, and very good, but with only a whisper of whiskey. So, while I liked it, that whisper of whiskey wasn’t the kick in the face that I was looking for, so I will press on. If you like a relatively easy recipe for a scratch chocolate cake unlike any other, you’ll certainly enjoy this one. It’s particularly good when paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of fudge sauce.

New York Times’ Chocolate Whiskey Cake

 12 T. unsalted butter, cut into 1” pieces
¾ c. +2 T.
unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ c. brewed strong coffee
½ c. Irish whiskey
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. light brown sugar
2 c. flour
½ t. baking soda
¾ t. fine sea salt
¼ t. black pepper
 1/8 t. ground cloves
3 large eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 c. mini semi sweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Heat oven to 325°F. Spray a
10-inch springform pan with Baker’s Joy. Dust with 2 tablespoons cocoa powder; set aside.

In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm coffee, whiskey, butter, and remaining cocoa powder, whisking occasionally, until butter is melted. Whisk in sugars until dissolved. Remove from heat and cool completely.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, and cloves. In another bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Slowly whisk egg mixture into chocolate mixture. Add dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Transfer to oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, then remove sides of the pan. Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

8 comments:

Gina said...

This sounds delightful, of course and I'm wondering if I should attempt it for my Firstborn's birthday dinner on Sunday...hmmm. Will add ice cream for sure!

Marie Smith said...

This looks so good…and no creaming of butter! My kind of cake!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Amazing. Looks and sounds absolutely delicious.

Angie's Recipes said...

Coffee, whisky and chocolate...they sound really great together. The texture of the cake is perfect.

Tracy said...

The cake sounds delicious, but I understand wanting a whiskey cake to taste like whiskey. What if you subbed out another 1/4 cup whiskey for 1/4 cup coffee to up the whiskey flavor? If you made the coffee extra strong so you shouldn't lose any of that flavor.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

That’s not a bad idea, Tracy, but I think what I really wanted was a chocolate whiskey cake similar to the amaretto cake that I made earlier. That cake was to die for. I’m going to work on creating something similar to that one.

Thelma said...

Looks delicous. A great idea for St. Pat's this yr.

Linda said...

Gosh that looks so good. Are you looking for volunteers for your project?